Today, Friday, an official at the US Department of Defense, the Pentagon, revealed the details of the air strike carried out by the US forces, Thursday evening, in Syria, targeting sites belonging to Iran.
What are the details?
Speaking to reporters on the phone, a Pentagon official said:
- A group of US fighter jets took off from Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar and headed to Syria on the instructions of Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin.
- The fighters dropped about 20 GBU-12 remotely guided laser-guided missiles against Iranian sites.
- Iranian Revolutionary Guard groups bombed the positions of the American forces with “eight booby-trapped drones of the type “Qasef-1”.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights stated that the US strikes killed eight militants allied with Iran in Syria.
US raids in Syria on Iranian militias
America pledges to protect its forces in Syria
The United States said on Friday it would protect its forces in Syria after the US military launched air strikes on Iran-backed forces in retaliation for an attack that killed an American contractor and wounded five American soldiers.
White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby told CNN: “We will work to protect our personnel and facilities to the best of our ability. It’s a dangerous environment.”
And just one day after the bloody attack on US forces in Syria, for which Washington blamed an Iranian-origin drone, sources said that a new missile attack targeted a US base in northeastern Syria. US officials said there were no casualties among US forces in the attack, which took place on Friday.
The latest violence could exacerbate already strained relations between Washington and Tehran amid stalled efforts to revive the nuclear deal and Iran’s military support for Russia in its war on Ukraine.
And deaths rarely occur among the American forces stationed in Syria, despite being previously targeted by drones.