The 95-year-old woman is said to have made an important contribution to the functioning of the concentration camp as the camp commandant’s secretary. The accused from the Pinneberg district near Hamburg is accused of complicity in murder in 10,000 cases and complicity in attempted murder in the period from 1943 to 1945 in other cases. A spokesman for the Itzehoe public prosecutor’s office (Schleswig-Holstein) said on Friday.
The youth chamber is responsible because the woman was growing up at the time of the acts. The investigations had been going on since 2016. It was a very complex and time-consuming process in which witnesses in the USA and Israel were heard. A historian was also commissioned to investigate.
In Germany, numerous very old former concentration camp guards have been brought to court in recent years who had got off scot-free in earlier decades. The reason is a changed legal understanding, according to which everyone is now guilty who contributed to the functioning of a camp with his service, regardless of his individual deeds.
Rescued from concentration camp: «You just let people die»(02:05)