Afghanistan: two “important” targets of the Islamic State killed

The Pentagon announced on Saturday that “two important targets” of the Islamic State (IS) group, “organizers” and “operators”, had been killed and one injured in a United States drone strike in Afghanistan, without revealing their whereabouts. names.

• Read also: Afghanistan: US strike against IS target, evacuations are nearing end

• Read also: The future of Kabul airport at the heart of intense negotiations

• Read also: Two Britons and a child killed in the Kabul bombing

“There are no civilian casualties to our knowledge,” said US General Hank Taylor.

“I can confirm, now that we have received more information, that two important ISIS targets were killed and one injured” in the strike launched on Saturday from outside Afghanistan, he said. .

Pentagon spokesman John Kirby declined to comment on whether these people were directly involved in Thursday’s bombing near Kabul airport, which killed more than 100 people, including 13 US soldiers.

This attack was claimed by the Islamic State in Khorasan (EI-K).

“These are IS-K organizers and operators, that is enough reason,” the spokesperson replied at a press conference.

The strike was carried out during “one mission,” Kirby said.

No one is saying that because “we got them, we don’t have to worry about ISIS anymore,” the spokesperson stressed, saying that the US military remained “focused” on this ” threat still active ”.

Five 20-year-old soldiers

Evacuation operations from Afghanistan continue.

“In fact, there are around 1,400 people at Kabul airport who have been screened and checked in for flights today,” General Taylor said.

According to a State Department official, about 350 Americans have informed U.S. diplomacy that they are still seeking to leave.

Foreign forces have until August 31 to leave Afghanistan.

In total, nearly 112,000 people have been evacuated since August 14, the day before the Taliban seizure of power in Kabul, and 117,500 since the end of July, according to the latest figures from the US government.

The Pentagon has also confirmed that it has “started withdrawing” US troops from the airport.

Heavily armed, Taliban fighters walked around the grounds and annex buildings of the airport on Saturday, AFP reporters said, as US Marine Corps soldiers watched them from the roof of the passenger terminal. .

“We still control the airport and we still control security at the airport,” insisted Mr. Kirby, the day after a pass of communication weapons between the Taliban and the Americans, the insurgents announcing that they had taken control of several parts of Kabul airport.

Evacuations have not been suspended and will continue “until the end”, he said.

The Pentagon released the identity of the 13 soldiers killed in Thursday’s attack on Saturday afternoon. Of these, five were 20 years old, the length of the United States’ longest war, launched in 2001 in Afghanistan.

Their remains were on their way to the United States on Saturday, according to John Kirby, who did not say when they would arrive.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.