1 hour ago
WASHINGTON: US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said on Sunday the United States was confident that Iran carried out last week’s attack on an Israeli-run tanker off the coast of Oman.
Blinken added in a statement that there was no justification for that attack and that the United States was working with partners to discuss next steps and working with regional governments to craft an appropriate response.
Blinken considered that this attack “follows a pattern of attacks and other aggressive methods. These actions threaten the freedom of navigation through this vital sea lane, international shipping and trade, and the lives of those on board the tankers.”
Britain and Israel had accused Iran of carrying out the attack.
However, neither of them provided direct evidence.
“We expect the international community to make clear to the Iranian regime that it has made a terrible mistake,” Blinken said, noting that “we have our ways to deliver the message to Iran.”