An attack in northern Burkina Faso kills at least 15 people

| |

OUAGADOUGOU (Reuters) – At least 15 people were killed in an attack on a convoy that transported traders in a city in northern Burkina Faso on Friday, the government said on Saturday.

Several others were injured in the attack by an unidentified group of attackers. Many more have not yet been reported, the government said in a statement.

Burkina Faso has been fighting armed combatants with ties to Al Qaeda and the Islamic State since 2017.

Hundreds of people were killed in the Sahel last year, and over half a million people have fled their homes due to attacks that have fueled ethnic and religious tensions.

Burkina Faso forces said Thursday that troops had destroyed a militant camp in another province in the north of the country. Ten attackers are said to have been killed while one soldier was wounded during the operation.

(The story corrects paragraph 5 to clarify that the soldier was injured and not killed.)

(Reporting by Thiam Ndiaga; writing by Bate Felix; editing by Christina Fincher)

Previous

Roland Garros could change dates to play earlier in Rome

Bill Maher offers a list of characters that white women can use to tell if they are Karen.

Next

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.