The Argentine patient with COVID-19 whom a judge had authorized to receive chlorine dioxide, whose use is not authorized in the country, died this Monday in the private clinic of Buenos Aires in which he was hospitalized, reported the lawyer for the family of the deceased Martín Sarubbi.
“This man ends up dying not because of the covid but because of a hospital infection,” he told the channel C5N the defender, who related the death of the patient to the delay in the application of the treatment authorized by the Justice.
Judge Javier Pico had given rise to the request of José María Lorenzo, the patient’s stepson, for the compound to be supplied noting that “the coverage of the indicated treatments” would not cause serious damage but would prevent, on the contrary, “the worsening of living conditions.”
According to the court ruling, on January 7, a day after his mother also died with coronavirus, Lorenzo presented a precautionary measure, which was later appealed by the clinic, so that the Otamendi Sanatorium provide “urgently” treatment to his mother’s husband, Oscar García Rúa, COVID-19 patient in a “serious” condition with “severe pulmonary compromise” and with hemoglobin saturation.
The neurosurgeon Dante Converti, a doctor outside the sanatorium where the man was hospitalized and a specialist in biological medicine, had stated that the patient “is in a very serious state of health,” for which the “authorization very urgently” for treatment with chlorine dioxide, a notice that the judge defined as “categorical and decisive.”
“It is of urgent realization since it can improve the diagnosis and the consequent treatment to be adopted imminently or, where appropriate, save the life of the patient,” said Pico.
At the time of granting the petition and rejecting the appeal of the hospital center, the judge recalled the adhesion of Argentina to international human rights treaties such as the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, which recognizes the right of all people to enjoy the “highest possible level of physical and mental health”, and the duty of the States parties to ensure your satisfaction.
“Even so, despite the existence of the injunction, the Otamendi Sanatorium continued to delay the treatment,” the lawyer remarked today, who announced that will file a complaint against the hospital for alleged “wrongful death”.
ALERT FOR HEALTH HAZARDS
During the pandemic Oral consumption of solutions has been promoted through social networks and the web. chlorine dioxide -directly or obtained from sodium chlorite, also known as MMS (Miracle Mineral Solution) – for the treatment or prevention of infection by coronavirus.
But both the World Health Organization (WHO) as health authorities of various countries warned of its health dangers.
The WHO advised that there is no evidence that it is effective for medical use, not just to treat coronavirus but any other disease.
Also, in August 2020, the Ministry of Health of Argentina issued a statement in which it remarked that the use of chlorine dioxide for the treatment of COVID-19 or other diseases “does not have studies to demonstrate its efficacy and does not have any authorization from the ministry for its marketing and use.”
“The intake of chlorine dioxide it can cause irritation in the esophagus and stomach, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and severe poisoning, among other complications that can include serious hematological, cardiovascular and kidney disorders “, specified the Health portfolio.
(With information from EFE)