Astronomers take a look at the horrific disappearance of the sun

Scientists have long known The The fate of our solar system – And maybe the fate of the Earth itself.

In a few billion years, the sun will run out of fusion fuel and will expand to “red giant“, Potentially engulfing everything in the solar system up to the orbit of Mars. But some planets beyond this point can survive, such as Jupiter and Saturn. Now scientists have used Keck Observatory Let’s see a system like ours after the red giant phase of the Sun for the first time.

They used a technique called gravity lens, an exoplanet detection technology that uses the effect of gravity on light to detect planets around stars that line up directly in front of another star, acting like a cosmic magnifying glass.

The research was published in temper nature.

Utah’s End of Earth Video.

In this case, the team led by Joshua Blackman, postdoctoral researcher at University of Tasmania, saw a planet that is part of the microlens system, but did not see enough foreground starlight for the star the planet orbiting around to be a main sequence star. Other possibilities such as a brown dwarf, neutron star or black hole were also ruled out, leaving one possible option – this newly discovered planet was orbiting a white dwarf.

white dwarfs They are the final shape that a main sequence star takes when they die and are not large enough to become a neutron star or black hole. After going through the red giant phase, she collapses on herself in the final moments and ends up in a white dwarf, where she can last for billions of years.

Astronomers had previously speculated that some planets could survive the star’s devastating red giant phase and end up orbiting white dwarfs, but this is the first exoplanet system to show such an arrangement.

The similarities with our system are amazing. The confirmed planetary candidate is 40% larger than that of Jupiter, while the rest of the white dwarf makes up about 60% of the mass of the Sun. Our Sun does not have enough mass to form a black hole or neutron star as part of its destruction, so it will end up in a similar white dwarf state in a few billion years.

Finding an example from the solar system shows that there is potential to overcome the destruction of the Sun, although it is not possible to rely on the white dwarf for heat to sustain life.

Unless life finds a way to expand beyond the solar system or to supply itself with energy unrelated to the sun, it will be doomed to fail even if the planet (or moon) is based on the survival. But this is another discovery of exoplanets that will help futurists plan for this maximum probability of our appearance.

This article was originally published the universe today through Andy Thomaswick. Read it The original article is here.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.