“Boston Cream Pie” with pudding filling: a donut becomes a cake!
Our American pudding cake with chocolate icing doesn’t just look good – it also tastes great. And it’s really very easy to prepare.
And this is how it’s done:
- First prepare the dough. First separate four eggs. Put the egg whites in a bowl with about 5 tablespoons of cold water and beat until stiff using a hand mixer with a whisk attachment. Now gradually pour in 190 g sugar and a pinch of salt and keep beating until the egg whites start to shine very slightly. In the next step fold in the egg yolks. Sift in the starch and flour and work in until you have a uniform dough.
- Grease the springform pan and pour in the batter. Smooth the surface and bake the cake in the oven preheated to 180 degrees for 25 minutes until the sponge cake is nice and light. Then remove the cake from the mold, divide into two bases and let cool down.
- While the cake is baking, you can prepare the pudding cream. To do this, beat 4 eggs with 60 g sugar and vanilla sugar in a bowl until frothy. Sift 25 g flour and 25 g starch over it and stir.
- Bring the milk to the boil in a small saucepan while stirring – then pour it into the egg-sugar-flour mixture. Pour this mixture back into the pot and carefully bring to the boil while stirring until the mixture thickens. Pour into a cold bowl, cover with cling film and let cool down.
- Chop the chocolate and melt with the cream and butter. Mix well until you get a smooth couverture.
- Now all you have to do is layer it: generously coat the lower base with the pudding cream, then place the second base on top. Pour the chocolate topping over the cake so that it drips down slightly around the edges. Let cool down – and serve!
Looks and tastes fantastic too – ours simple pudding cake with chocolate icing. Did you know that the recipe originally came from America? There the pastry is known as “Boston Cream Pie” and is particularly popular in the state of Massachusetts. According to legend, the recipe goes back to a French chef who first served the creation in the mid-19th century. Nowadays the cake is not only very popular in this variant, but also in the mini form: “Boston Cream” is also available as a donut – and not only in this one well-known franchise.
Despite a few preparation steps, the recipe is very simple. But: It is actually even easier. Much easier…
If you don’t have time at all, there is a variant of the cake that couldn’t be simpler. Simply buy ready-made sponge cake in the supermarket. Variants with two floors are also available for purchase. Then just buy cream or vanilla pudding powder and stir – and distribute it between the bases. Finally decorate with chocolate couverture. This way you will be ready with the cake within 20 minutes. Incredible!
As you can see: American cuisine can do much more than just burgers and Co. If you would like to get to know more, then click through our gallery:
And if you just have a real appetite for sweet treats: In the playlist we present great dessert recipes:
AD: Why not just have your next purchase delivered to your home? Click here for the REWE online shop >>