Can you drive a car that is in the name of another person?

This is a question that may arise at any time to anyone who has a driving license: can I drive a vehicle that is in the name of another person? The situations can be very varied, for example if we ask the car to a friend for any reason, or if we usually exchange the vehicle with our partner.

Moreover, the question, in fact, makes sense if what we want to know is whether we will be covered by insurance in case an incident occurs while we drive it and we do not own it, nor do we appear as a regular or occasional driver.

By law, as they stand out from the Mapfre blog, the requirement to drive a certain vehicle is to have a driving license that allows it. Another thing is that, in case of an accident, the insurance covers, or not, said person. In addition to these cases, a driver who is not listed in the insurance policy may be covered in the event of an accident. In essence, all drivers can be if one of the following characteristics occurs:

-That is the same age or higher than the person who is registered in the policy as usual driver.

-That has more years of license than the usual driver.

-That he has at least two years of card.

In fact, it is not enough to meet any of these characteristics in any case, since this is something that depends entirely on the insurance policy contracted. The minimum age of the driver, the age of the card or any other factor could vary, so it is advisable to inform, first of all, of the specific conditions of each policy.

What if my children take the car? In this situation, things change. First, the children who can drive your car must be considered as occasional drivers and as such must be established in the insurance policy. This usually implies that premiums rise due to the greater risk associated with young drivers with little or no experience. .

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.