Cienfuegos Case: Prosecutors request part of the trial “in secret”; the judge, skeptical, asks for an explanation

Keegan Hamilton, journalist for Vice News, was the one who revealed in his social network that “Judge Carol Bagley Amon is skeptical about the prosecutors who ask that parts of the case be kept [de Salvador Cienfuegos] under seal ”.

Mexico City, November 17 (However) .– The prosecutors of the Department of Justice of United States who accuse the General Salvador Cienfuegos of drug trafficking and money laundering want part of the judgment be protected by secrecy, but the Judge Carol Bagley is skeptical and has asked why.

“The Judge Carol Bagley Amon is skeptical of the prosecutors who ask that parts of the case be kept under seal, orders the acting federal prosecutor to come and explain, ”the journalist from Vice News, Keegan Hamilton, through his Twitter account.

While his colleague, Alen Feuer, who follows the judicial process of Cienfuegos Zepeda for The New York Times, noted that the Judge Brooklyn federal issued an unusual ruling in the case of Salvador Cienfuegos, who is accused of drug trafficking.

She ordered that the documents be opened before 5 p.m. on Tuesday or a more detailed explanation be given.

In addition, he asked the acting United States attorney, in this case Seth DuCharme, to appear in person at a hearing tomorrow, November 18, Feuer said on his Twitter account, citing the notification from the Court.

Just last November 5, Salvador Cienfuegos Zepeda, former head of the Secretariat of National Defense (Sedena), declared himself “not guilty” of the four charges that the United States has against him for alleged links with drug trafficking.

After his arraignment for video and audio conference before a judge was postponed due to echo problems, Cienfuegos responded to routine questions from the judge, who set the next hearing for November 18.

“Not guilty, your honor,” said the former official at the hearing that was held virtually in Federal Court in Brooklyn, New York.

Prosecutors in the United States accuse the General of illicit association to distribute and import drugs and money laundering.

Previously, Brooklyn Court Judge Carol Bagley Amon rejected the General’s attorney’s request to postpone the hearing, minutes before the former official appeared in court.

According to the journalist Dolia Estévez, the judge threatened to cancel the hearing due to the echo and noise of the telephones linked to this appointment, the majority of reporters. As the complaints were not addressed to keep silence, and the Judge decided to adjourn the session due to disorder.

Former President Enrique Peña Nieto, and Salvador Cienfuegos Zepeda, former Secretary of Defense, in 2017.

Former President Enrique Peña Nieto, and Salvador Cienfuegos Zepeda, former Secretary of Defense, in 2017. Photo: Mario Jasso, Cuartoscuro

It is a scene similar to that of last October, when Genaro García Luna, head of the Secretariat of Public Security (SSP) in the six-year term of Felipe Calderón Hinojosa, appeared for a hearing in that same court and the disorder generated mainly by journalists caused the session to be suspended.

Before Judge Amon decided to suspend the act for an hour, Cienfuegos Zepeda appeared, requesting “a little more volume” on the telephone by which he communicates to listen to the instructions of the Magistrate, according to Estévez in his account of Twitter

In the end, the noise did not allow the hearing to progress, and the judge announced that it would be replaced without an audience and, later, the recording would be delivered.

CIENFUEGOS ARRIVES AT MAXIMUM SECURITY JAIL

After being arrested and held for three weeks in Los Angeles, the former Mexican Secretary of Defense, General Salvador Cienfuegos Zepeda, is now in a Brooklyn jail in New York, according to the US Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Prosecutors in the United States accuse him of illicit association to distribute and import drugs and money laundering.

Prosecutors point out that Cienfuegos, 72, aided the H-2 cartel while he was in charge of the armed forces from 2012 to 2018 during the government of then-President Enrique Peña Nieto.

CIENFUEGOS-1

On November 29, 2018, General Cienfuegos left his tenure and said goodbye to the Armed Forces. Today he is accused of drug trafficking. Photo: Mario Jasso, Cuartoscuro

The indictment against Cienfuegos comes from the federal court for the eastern district of New York, located in Brooklyn. For that reason the General was transferred from Los Angeles to New York.

According to the website of the US federal prison office, Cienfuegos is located in the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn, a high-security prison.

-With AP information

.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.