The President of the Chamber of Arcos de Valdevez today called on the Government to hire human resources to allow the rear-end hospitals to covid-19 created in the Viana do Castelo district for patients in recovery to operate immediately.
“I ask the Government’s attention to make the necessary resources available for the hiring of health professionals, doctors and nurses and of equipment that will allow the rear hospitals created in the region to get up and running quickly. The lack of these human resources is leading to the transfer of elderly people with covid-19, who are discharged, to the homes ”, warned José Manuel Esteves.
The social-democratic mayor said that the rear hospitals that were created in the region “must be equipped with technical conditions, doctors, nurses and hospital equipment to meet the needs of the elderly with covid-19, who despite having been discharged, still need specialized health care ”.
“They may not be in the hospital, which is the place where the acute phase of the disease is treated, but there must be an alternative, call it the rear hospital, call it what you want. These patients cannot be transferred to homes that do not have these resources ”, he reinforced.
The mayor said that the data from the Health Authority that were provided to him today, in Arcos de Valdevez there are 33 cases of infection by covid-19.
In the municipality, the Parish and Social Center of Santa Maria de Grade, with 39 users and 20 employees, is the most serious case of infection with the new coronavirus.
According to João Manuel Esteves, “there are currently about 260 beds in arches of Valdevez, distributed over five spaces, for people in quarantine, properly equipped and disinfected, according to the guidelines of the Directorate-General for Health (DGS).
Last week, the cultural center of Viana do Castelo, the largest theater in Alto Minho, was transformed into a field hospital with 121 beds designed to accommodate patients with covid-19, and the structure “may go up to 200, with female and male wings ”.
“At this moment, the space has 100 beds and an infirmary, 21 individual rooms, treatment room, social and dining room, medical office unit, male and female changing rooms, storage unit for dirty and clean equipment, two different accesses. of entrances and exits and 80 individual lockers ”, specified a note from the Viana do Castelo Chamber.
In the statement, the district capital explained that the “rear hospital is already available, after an inspection where the Mayor, the chairman of the board of directors of the Local Health Unit of Alto Minho (ULSAM) and president of the District Union of Private Social Solidarity Institutions (UDIPSS) of Viana do Castelo.
“Altogether, the rear hospital has 121 beds, but it can go up to 200, with female and male wings. At this moment, the space has 100 beds and an infirmary, 21 individual rooms, treatment room, social and dining room, medical office unit, male and female changing rooms, storage unit for dirty and clean equipment, two different access ways. entrances and exits and 80 individual lockers ”, specifies the note.
This week, the League of Friends of the Viana do Castelo Hospital (LAHSL) provided ULSAM with 50 beds in a rear hospital created by a network of volunteers in the sports hall of the diocesan seminary in Viana do Castelo.
The new coronavirus, responsible for the covid-19 pandemic, has already infected more than 1.3 million people worldwide, of whom more than 75,000 died.
Of the infection cases, about 290 thousand are considered cured.
After appearing in China in December, the outbreak spread worldwide, prompting the World Health Organization (WHO) to declare a pandemic situation.
In Portugal, according to the balance made today by the Directorate-General for Health, there were 345 deaths, 34 more than the day before (+ 10.9%), and 12,442 cases of confirmed infections, which represents an increase of 712 in compared to Monday (+ 6%).
Of those infected, 1,180 are hospitalized, 271 of whom are in intensive care units, and 184 patients have already recovered.
Portugal, where the first confirmed cases were registered on March 2, has been in a state of emergency since 00:00 on March 19 and until the end of April 17, after the extension approved on Thursday at Assembly of the Republic.
In addition, the Government declared on March 17 the state of public calamity for the municipality of Ovar.