Cops injured and dozens arrested in new Louisville race riots

At least two policemen were wounded by gunshot wounds and 46 people were arrested in a night of protests and violent riots in Louisville, Kentucky, after the State Attorney’s Office decided not to charge any police officer involved with murder in the shooting death in a house search of African American Breonna Taylor in March.

As soon as the decision of the Prosecutor’s Office was known, hundreds of people came out to demonstrate in Louisville, where Taylor lived, as well as in New York, Washington DC, Atlanta, Colorado or Los Angeles, where the clamor for social justice and the end of the racism that has brought thousands of people to the streets since May in the United States.

Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron announced Wednesday that “After a thorough investigation” they saw no reason to charge any of the three officers with murder that in March they broke into the apartment of Taylor, a 26-year-old emergency medical operator, to execute a search related to a drug retail investigation of an ex-boyfriend of the woman.

According to some witnesses, the agents did not identify themselves despite the fact that it was night and they were dressed in civilian clothes. Agents responded with an indiscriminate barrage of more than thirty shots after Kenneth Walker, Taylor’s boyfriend, fired at them, thinking they were intruders.

Taylor, who was resting in her bed, was shot to death and since then her case has become a symbol of the fight for racial equality and against the police brutality suffered by African Americans in the United States and which since May, with the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis, has sparked protests and riots throughout the country.

The prosecutor, who relied on the opinion of a grand jury, decided this Wednesday that he will only accuse former police officer Brett Hankinson of reckless recklessness for having shot at a house neighboring Taylor’s, in no case for anything that led to the death of African American woman.

State of emergency in Louisville

Hankinson was released after posting a $ 15,000 bond, while agents Jonathan Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove, who fired the shots that hit Taylor, were exonerated because their action was “justified”, according to the findings of the Prosecutor’s Office.

Faced with the possibility of altercations, the Louisville authorities decided to declare a state of emergency, close shops and offices, and declare a curfew from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.

According to Acting Louisville Police Chief Robert Schroeder, two police officers suffered gunshot wounds and were taken to a hospital where they were stabilized, although one of them required surgery.

Schroeder explained that they arrested a suspect in the shooting, which according to videos circulating on social networks would have occurred when riot control agents tried to displace some protesters.

The protests resulted in more than 46 detainees and some material damage due to fires in the administrative center of the city, where protests have been held for months over Taylor’s death.

Trump praised at a press conference Cameron’s decision not to do “crowd justice” and to overcome the pressure of public opinion.

He also expressed his regret for the injured officers on Twitter and offered to help the city with the deployment of federal agents in a call with Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear, a Democrat. “We are ready to work together as needed,” he said.

The president has focused his message in this final stretch before the presidential elections in November in calling for “law and order” and a strong hand against the protesters, without resorting to any gesture of reconciliation or recognition of the systemic racism of some institutions, including the Policeman.

The Louisville city council agreed last month to pay Taylor’s family $ 12 million for her death, one of the highest settlement for a death of police brutality against African Americans.

The mayor of Louisville, Greg Fischer, dissociated this agreement to exonerate the agents by criminal means at a press conference and assured that the amount wants to open a path to “reconciliation” in the city.

The councilor also recalled that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is conducting a criminal investigation into the case and the city’s Police Department is reviewing whether some of the police procedures that led to the death of Taylor, who had not been charged with no crime or filed with a search warrant, need changes.


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.