- 08:35 am: ➤ NBA superstar Irving continues to refuse vaccination – and yet wants to continue playing
- 06:16 am: RKI reports 12,382 new infections – the incidence is 67.0
- 12:12 am: Youtube again deletes two # allesaufdentisch videos
➤ NBA refusal to vaccinate rules out early retirement
Star player Kyrie Irving hopes without it vaccination to be able to play basketball again soon in the NBA. The Brooklyn Nets professional emphasized that he would keep fit despite his current exclusion from training and games. He ruled out an early retirement.
“I’ll keep staying in shape,” said Irving. “Be ready to rock with my teammates and just be part of this whole thing.”
The Nets had previously announced that the development player would be excluded from the team activities for the time being because he was not ready to be vaccinated against the corona virus. This will make the 29-year-old million revenue will probably be lost. “It’s not about a political thing, not about that NBA, not about any organization, “said Irving:” It’s about my life and about what I decide. “
He was “still unsure of many things” and that was okay. It is not about being fundamentally against vaccinations. Rather, he must feel what is good for him. “This is my life,” said Irving, “I can do what I want with it. It’s my body.
The other corona news of the day
Australian Open in golf postponed again
08:05 am: The Australian Golf Open and the Australian Women’s Open planned for the coming year have been canceled due to the corona travel and quarantine restrictions that continue to apply. “The decision was not taken lightly, but we believe it is the right decision under the current circumstances,” Golf Australia General Manager James Sutherland said Thursday.
The men’s tournament was originally planned for November 25-28, 2021 at the Australian Golf Club in Sydney, but had already been postponed to early 2022. It is now expected to be played in Melbourne in November or December 2022. The tournament could not take place in 2020 due to the pandemic.
The tournament for women golfers, which was canceled this year, was planned for February in Adelaide. When this event should be rescheduled is still being planned.
RKI reports 12,382 new infections – the incidence is 67.0
06:16 am: There is little dynamic in the seven-day incidence in Germany. That Robert Koch Institute (RKI) stated the value of new infections per 100,000 inhabitants and week on Thursday morning as 67.0. For comparison: the previous day the value was 65.4, a week ago it was 62.6 (previous month: 81.1). The health authorities in Germany reported 12,382 new corona infections to the RKI within one day. This is evident from the numbers that reflect the status of the RKI dashboard at 4:14 a.m. A week ago, the value was 11,644 infections.
There is little dynamic in the seven-day incidence in Germany. The Robert Koch Institute gave the value of new infections per 100,000 inhabitants and week on Thursday morning as 67.0. (Photo credit: picture alliance / Robin Utrecht)
According to the new information, 72 deaths were recorded across Germany within 24 hours. A week ago there were 68 deaths. The RKI has counted 4,342,640 detected infections with Sars-CoV-2 since the beginning of the pandemic. The actual total number is likely to be significantly higher, as many infections are not detected.
The number of corona patients admitted to clinics per 100,000 inhabitants within seven days – the most important parameter for a possible tightening of the corona restrictions – was given by the RKI on Wednesday at 1.90 (Tuesday: 1.70). A nationwide threshold value from when the situation can be viewed critically is not provided for the incidence of hospitalization, among other things because of large regional differences. The previous high was around 15.5 around Christmas time.
The RKI stated the number of those who had recovered at 4,125,100. The number of people who died with or with a proven infection with Sars-CoV-2 rose to 94,461.
The Australian state of Victoria continues to report corona records
04:57 am: The number of new corona infections in the Australian state of Victoria with the megacity Melbourne continues to rise – although the region on the east coast has been in lockdown for more than two months and more than 60 percent of the population are already fully vaccinated. On Thursday, authorities reported 2,297 new infections within 24 hours, an increase of 700 cases compared to the previous day. A record: never before has a state or territory reported so many new infections since the beginning of the pandemic.
If 70 percent of the population have received two doses of vaccine, the regional government still wants to introduce the first easing. This is expected to be the case next week, said regional premiere Daniel Andrews. “We have an agreement with the people of Victoria: you get vaccinated and we will relax. And I’ll do what I say.” Victoria is locked down for the sixth time.
The neighboring state of New South Wales with the metropolis Sydney, which had long been hardest hit by the current outbreak, ended its strict lockdown after 106 days a few days ago. The numbers are falling there.
Australia With around 25 million inhabitants, it has been largely isolated from the outside world since the beginning of the crisis. Due to the progress of the vaccination campaign, the government plans to reopen the country’s international borders for the first time in November. Fully vaccinated Australians will then be able to travel abroad again. It is still unclear when tourists can return to Down Under.
Brazil: There are now more than 100 million people who have been vaccinated against corona
04:28 am: Around ten months after the nationwide vaccination campaign began in Brazil, more than 100 million Brazilians are completely against it Coronavirus vaccinated. This corresponds to 62.5 percent of the target group of over 18-year-olds, according to a statement from the Ministry of Health in Brasília on Wednesday (local time). The mark should continue to rise until the end of October, also because the Ministry of Health expects the arrival of more than 51.5 million doses of corona vaccines soon.
While important cities such as Rio de Janeiro or São Paulo have been considering easing the mask requirement under certain conditions, holding parties with thousands of visitors on a trial basis and practicing samba groups for the 2022 Carnival, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro does not want to be vaccinated any further. “I see new studies, my immunization is high”, justified Bolsonaro in an interview with the radio station “Jovem Pan”.
The right-wing head of state played down the corona virus from the start and rejected protective measures and restrictions. He also doubts the sense of vaccinations and has emphasized several times that he has not yet been vaccinated against Corona. A parliamentary committee of inquiry into his government’s corona crisis management is running. Tens of thousands demonstrated against Bolsonaro several times in the past few months. Brazil passed the 600,000 corona death mark on Friday.
In order to narrow down the origin of the pandemic, tens of thousands of blood samples from Wuhan are now to be analyzed. There are already calls for the WHO to be involved.
Youtube again deletes two # allesaufdentisch videos
12:12 am: The video platform Youtube has deleted two more videos of the controversial action #allesaufdentisch. This was confirmed by a YouTube spokesman on Wednesday evening for the German press agency. The reason given was a breach of a company’s policy on misinformation about the corona pandemic. This means that a total of four videos of the campaign are currently deleted.
Youtube recently deleted three clips, but uploaded one of them again after checking it again.
The internet video campaign #allesaufdentisch, in which actors Volker Bruch and Wotan Wilke Möhring, among others, took part, started at the end of September. In many videos that were uploaded online, the Corona measures and the media reporting about them are criticized, among other things. Critics accuse the makers of using conspiracy-ideological narratives.
The video campaign is reminiscent of an action that had caused a sensation months before: At that time, people from the film scene criticized the handling of the corona virus with satirical videos under the hashtag #allesdichtmachen.
More on the topic of coronavirus:
With material from dpa, afp, sid, reuters and apa.