The head of the Spanish government, Pedro Sanchez, announced this Saturday the extension for two weeks of the confinement of his country, decreed on March 14, “until April 25” inclusive, in order to curb the Covid-19 pandemic. Or a six-week bell setting.
“The Council of Ministers next Tuesday will again seek the authorization of the Chamber of Deputies to extend, for the second time, the state of alert”, which allowed to impose a containment of the strictest, “until to Saturday, April 25 at midnight, “he said in a television address.
“With all due care, we consider that this is the time our health system needs to recover,” he said. Hospitals, overwhelmed by the influx of patients, especially in intensive care units, are starting to see a slight decrease in the number of patients.
Spain is the second most bereaved country in the world after Italy, with 11,744 deaths according to the latest assessment published on Saturday, and nearly 125,000 confirmed cases. She had announced her containment measures three days before France.
Measures “bearing fruit”
The increase in the number of cases has slowed gradually since the middle of last week in percentage and the death toll has just dropped two days in a row after the record 950 deaths announced Thursday.
While the 47 million Spaniards have the right to leave their homes only to buy food and medicine or to work if their activity is “essential” to the nation (health, food, energy, transport …), “we know Today, these three weeks of collective isolation are bearing fruit, ”says Pedro Sanchez.
VIDEO. Confinement in Paris: we climbed the top of the Eiffel Tower empty of tourists
According to the head of the Spanish government, the confinement would have “stopped the spread of the virus, contain the avalanche on hospitals, treat the sick and save lives”.