Cricket ICC postpones World Cup qualification due to corona virus

MUMBAI, March 26 (Reuters). The International Cricket Council (ICC) announced on Thursday that all qualifying tournaments for the Twenty20 World Cup 2021 and the 50-overs version in 2023 that were due to take place before June 30 were due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The flu-like virus has infected more than 470,800 people worldwide and, according to Reuters, has killed over 21,200 people since it hit China late last year.

The pandemic has also brought global sport to a standstill, and the ICC said in a statement that World Cup qualification would also be affected.





© Thomson Reuters
General view of the ICC Cricket World Cup trophy

“Given the current significant global health concerns and restrictions on movement imposed by governments around the world, the ICC has decided to postpone all events until late June, subject to further review,” said Chris Tetley. ICC event manager said.

“Work continues on contingency plans and options for both men’s qualification paths. We will provide updates to these plans in due course and decisions regarding the implementation of the remaining events this year.”

India will host the T20 World Championship next year and the 50 overs event in 2023. Due to the ICC decision, up to eight events will now be postponed.

This year’s T20 Women’s World Cup took place in Australia from February to March, where the men’s version will also take place from October. The World Cup trophy tour for the men’s event, which was due to start next month, has also been postponed.

Related Slideshow: Events Canceled or Postponed Due to a COVID-19 Pandemic (provided by Photo Services)

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.