Elizabeth R. Rojas
THE COUNTRY | Manizales
Every year, December and the January holiday season leave their mark with their foods rich in fats, sugars, flours, sausages, packaged and more. Returning to a regular diet, more than optional, is necessary to avoid bodily decompensations and worsening of pre-existing conditions.
When products that are harmful to health are ingested, what is done is intoxicating the body. There it is urgent to carry out, in the shortest possible time, a cleaning process so that the body systems recover from the disorders before the body takes its toll through the disease.
Daniel Alberto Castro Baquero, a surgeon at the Technological University of Pereira (UTP), a specialist in integrative medicine at the Javeriana University, detailed how counterproductive the transitory habits of the end of the year and the start of the next can be.
“Foods high in fat, preservatives and sugars affect all people. Especially those with high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, fatty liver, irritable bowel, gastritis and reflux. Also those who suffer from chronic pain conditions ( arthritis, osteoarthritis and musculoskeletal ailments) “, explained the specialist.
According to Castro, allergy sufferers tend to see their immune system function affected when they eat seasonal preparations, because they have oxidative compounds, in addition to inflammatory ones. That makes your initial conditions more difficult to control.
“The serious thing is that some are asymptomatic and thus more difficult to follow and / or control. Those who have autoimmune conditions, where the body attacks the same organism, can worsen their conditions. This happens to those who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis , lupus, among others, “he said.
People with cancer, Castro warned, regardless of where they developed the disease, age, prognosis; They can also be affected by this copious diet that calls for disorder.
“In this time of pandemic, for all individuals, it is important to take care of their diet, this because in this way the immune system is protected. It is that if a lot of fat, sugars and others are ingested, the effectiveness in the functioning of the system is decreased, which it is crucial to fight the coronavirus. “
Castro doctor also responded:
– The diets of the season, do they affect the assimilation of the drugs that are ingested for the underlying disease that one has?
Some medications may decrease in action or not be as effective. This, mainly in those who have diabetes. Thus they are consumed, they will be insufficient in being able to control the disease. This diet has immediate effects that lead the patient to decompensate, as well as more subtle changes that are only seen with the passage of time.
– Returning to the healthy path …
Getting back to healthy should be done, as the person supports it. It is that when someone has been exposed to this type of diet for a long time, it is recommended that the inclusion of healthy habits be done gradually, this so that they are gradually conditioned. Is that if the person is very used to eating a lot of sugar, fat, milk and other inflammatory elements, if they radically change their intake, they can fall back into the harmful habit. Different happens to those who, in principle, had good eating habits and only got a little messy in season. With them the prognosis is better, because they were already used to it.
– What role does physical activity play in body detoxification?
Physical activity is one of the routines that most easily allows detoxification. When we do it, we stimulate, for example, cardiovascular and respiratory function, which allows us to carry oxygen and nutrients to different parts of the body. It is crucial for the lymphatic system, which is responsible for collecting toxins and ensuring that these are purified.
– Changes, with specialized monitoring …
There are people who have certain health conditions that need diet changes, especially those who suffer from metabolic disorders. This also applies to people without underlying diseases. Any changes must be guided by a specialist. You can do a process of metabolic rest, which consists of fasting, which must be directed by competent personnel.
The role of fruits, vegetables and water
The doctor Daniel Alberto Castro Baquero explained that fruits, vegetables and water have many properties that lead to good health. Mainly, because they are usually detoxifying and have compounds, such as fiber, that stimulate different systems and organs. This is influenced by the color of what is consumed:
* “The pigmentation of food must be varied. For example, green is rich in lutein, cesanthine and isoflavones. They support the functioning of the liver, kidneys, skin, digestive system and lungs, which allow us much of body detoxification “.
* “Water is essential for the body. Ingesting it helps the water within us flow better and eliminate toxins. This is done through urine, sweat, feces. Whoever drinks a lot of fluids has better intestinal transit “.
* “From 60 to 80% of our immune system is in our intestines. So if we consume a good amount of vegetables, we will have good fiber that will stimulate the intestinal microbiota (microorganisms)”.
* Arterial hypertension: A condition in which the blood pressure is too high.
* Diabetes: Excess sugar in the blood.
* Obesity: Excessive level of body fat.
* Fatty liver: accumulation of fat in said organ.
* Irritable bowel: intestinal disorder that leads to, among other things, diarrhea, gas, inflammation.
* Gastritis: Inflammation of the stomach lining.
* Reflux: Irritation produced by acids in the esophagus.
* Arthritis: Inflammation of the joints that causes stiffness and pain. Common in older adults.
* Osteoarthritis: degenerative disease characterized by damage to the cartilage of the joints.
* Musculoskeletal ailments: Inflammatory involvement of muscles, tendons, bones, ligaments, nerves, etc.
* Lupus: inflammatory pathology by which the body attacks the body itself.