Since April 1, the fourth dose of the vaccine (second booster dose) against COVID-19 has already been applied in Ecuador. According to the Ministry of Health, the decision was made after scientific and technical analyzes on the protection time of the injection.
According to a study conducted in Israel, it has been determined that after four to five months After the third dose, the application of a fourth dose increases the immunogenicity (immune response) in the individual. In addition, it restores antibodies to maximum levels.
The Ministry of Health clarifies that those who can access the fourth dose are people:
- Over 50 years old.
- Over 12 years of age with moderate or severe immunosuppression.
- Health personnel and workers in the health area, which includes administrators who work in medical institutions.
- Over 18 years of age vaccinated abroad with Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) vaccine who received their first booster dose five months ago.
The Minister of Health, Ximena Garzón, insisted that covered vulnerable groups and that in the country there are enough quality, safe and effective vaccines, with rapid and equitable access throughout the national territory.
“And even the fourth dose”and that the reduction in infections, hospitalizations and the use of intensive care beds for cases of covid-19, demonstrates the effectiveness of the vaccine.
On the other hand, he pointed out that only travelers whose country of destination requires the inoculation of two doses of vaccines authorized for that country may be vaccinated (Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Sinovac). For them, the second booster will be inoculated 28 days after the first booster is applied.
He added that they will continue with “This vaccination schedule until the pharmaceutical companies develop a seasonal vaccine, an annual vaccine like the case of influenza.”
The immunization process will be carried out in the establishments of the Ministry of Health and vaccination centers authorized for this purpose. They will attend at regular hours of each health unit.
Users under 18 years of age must submit informed consent, reviewed and signed by their father, mother or representative. Additionally, it is stated that the regular schedule and influenza vaccines can be co-administered, that is, they can be given simultaneously.
According to Lineament Second Booster Dose against COVID-19, the following recommendations are established:
- If the third dose was from Pfizer, it should be used as the fourth dose, depending on availability, the same brand and AstraZeneca.
- If you used AstraZeneca for the third dose, for the fourth it is recommended to use the same brand or Pfizer.
- If you received Sinovac in the third dose, it is recommended to inject AstraZeneca or Pfizer in the dose chart.
- If they used Cansino for the third dose, it is suggested that they use the same brand for the fourth dose.
At a press conference, the president of the National COE, Juan Zapata, announced that on May 3 the country will know if that day or that week, the head of state, Guillermo Lasso, together with the National COE give “news that the country wait for two years”.