In turmoil since the end of last year because of Cyberpunk 2077 and false promises, CD Projekt RED returns in all transparency on the fiasco which strongly tarnished its reputation in the video game industry.
In a gloomy five-minute video, the CEO and co-founder of CD Project RED, Marcin Iwinski, makes a hell of a mea culpa vis-à-vis the situation in which the studio has put itself with Cyberpunk 2077, a futuristic RPG that was to be the sensation of the year and which is now nothing but a big disappointment for many players: “When I created CD Projekt 25 years ago, one of our principles was direct and honest communication with players. When CD Projekt RED, the development division of CD Projekt, was born, a new idea was added to this principle, namely the ambition to make the best games in the world. It has become our mission, our guideline so far. It is this desire to communicate honestly and sincerely, which made you believe in us and pre-order our game. Despite good reviews on PC, the console version of Cyberpunk 2077 does not reach the level of quality that we would have liked. The management team and I are sincerely sorry and take public responsibility for it here. I ask you not to put the blame on our teams. They are all incredibly talented and hardworking. The board and I make the final decisions, and it was our choice to release the game. But believe me, we never wanted that sort of thing to happen. I assure you that we will do everything to regain your confidence (…) I also assure you that we take this situation very seriously and that we are working hard to remedy it. The values of our company continue to guide our steps. We always want to make great games and communicate honestly with you, our players. For now, we are working around the clock to make you enjoy the game on all platforms. After Cyberpunk, we have other plans and we’ll tell you more when we’re ready.”
Cyberpunk 2077 Update Roadmap
- Hotfix 1.04
- Hotfix 1.05
- Hotfix 1.06
- Patch 1.1
- Patch 1.2
- Free DLC
- Free next-gen update (+ physical version PS5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S?) -> second semester (between July and December)
- Multiplayer mode?
- Paid extensions?
- Patches and fixes?
- Cyberpunk 2077 – Complete Edition ?
- Cyberpunk 2077 – Enhanced Edition ?
Cyberpunk 2077: “our quality commitment”, the FAQ of CD Projekt RED
- Why is there such a gap between versions of Cyberpunk 2077 on PC and legacy consoles? “Cyberpunk 2077 has huge ambitions, it features a multitude of custom objects, systems and interactive mechanics. In the game, not everything is laid out on flat ground where we can make things less demanding in terms of hardware, but condensed in a big city and in a relatively load-free environment. We’ve made it even harder for ourselves by wanting to make the game look epic on PCs first, and then tweak it to consoles, especially the older generation. This was our main assumption. And things didn’t seem very difficult at first, while we knew the material deficit, in the end time proved that we underestimated the task.“
- What was the main issue that made the development of consoles so difficult? “The main culprit was constantly having to improve our in-game streaming system for older generation consoles. Streaming is responsible for “feeding” the engine with what you see onscreen, as well as the mechanics of the game. Since the city is so crowded and the disk bandwidth of older generation consoles is what it is. ‘she is, it’s something that has constantly challenged us“
- Haven’t you tested the older generation consoles to keep tabs on the experience? “We did it. As it turned out, our testing didn’t show most of the issues you encountered while playing the game. As we got closer to launch, we saw significant improvements every day, and we thought. really that we were going to deliver last day zero update“
- Why was there a gap between the PC and console tests? “We started sending PC keys the first week of December to start testing. On December 10, launch day, we got off to a great start with the reviews on PC, and while it wasn’t perfect, this is a version of the game that we were and still are very fond of. proud. Regarding console testing, along with sending the PC codes, we were always working hard to improve the quality of the game on older generation consoles. Every additional day working on the zero update has allowed us to make visible improvement. That’s why we started sending out console codes for testing on December 8th, later than expected.“
- What have you done since launch to improve the game? “Our top priority since launch has been fixing the bugs in Cyberpunk 2077. We have already released three fixes that have improved the game, but these are just the beginning.“
- What are you going to do in the future to fix Cyberpunk 2077? “We are focused on fixing the bugs and crashes that players encounter on all platforms. You can expect more patches – big and small – to be released on a regular basis. The first update will drop in 10 days, followed by a bigger and more meaningful update in the following weeks. Our long-term Cyberpunk 2077 support plans remain unchanged and we will continue to make updates and fixes to provide all players on all consoles and PCs with a better gaming experience.“
- You said there will be free DLC for the game in early 2021, will that be affected by any improvements? “We still plan to release free DLC for the game, just like with The Witcher 3. However, we have decided that our priority is to work on the most important fixes and updates. We’ll be releasing free DLC next – we’ll have more to say in the coming months.“
- When can we expect the next gen update for Cyberpunk 2077? “For those who play the game on next-gen consoles via backward compatibility, we plan to release Cyberpunk 2077’s free next-gen update for the Xbox Series and PlayStation 5 consoles this year. We are aiming for the second half of the year and will reveal more when we have more to share“
- Are you getting the team to work on the fixes? “The team strives to make relevant fixes to the game without any mandatory overtime. Removing the crunch from all our future projects is our top priority“
- When will the game return to PlayStation Store? “We’re working on fixes and updates, and working with Sony to bring Cyberpunk 2077 back to PlayStation Store as soon as possible.“