The Faculty of Medicine of the Autonomous University of San Luis Potosí (UASLP) celebrated on January 29 of this year, the 144th anniversary of its creation.
It was in January 1877 when the then governor, Carlos Diez Gutiérrez, approved the first study plan in Medicine, at the proposal of Dr. Ignacio Gama, director of the Scientific and Literary Institute. On January 29, 1877, the notice was published in the Official Gazette that the first year of Medicine studies would be offered.
The current director of the Faculty of Medicine, Dr. Ismael Francisco Herrera Benavente, highlighted that the campus at this time is supported by 23 postgraduate courses in clinical specialties, a Master in Clinical Research, and the Master and Doctorate in Biomedical Sciences. Both degrees have been accredited for their quality by the Mexican Council for the Accreditation of Medical Education (Comaem) and by the CIEES.
He recalled that, at the time of its creation, specifically on February 15, 1877, the first Medicine classes began where there were only four students enrolled, concluding the first year only three. Being the first doctor to graduate, Andrés Mora.
He said that it currently has an important teaching staff, of which sixty percent are within the National System of Researchers (SNI), in addition to approximately 1,400 students.
He highlighted that, in these 144 years of the Foundation of the Faculty of Medicine, the campus fulfills the mission of training great professionals, not only surgeons, but also the Bachelor of Environmental Sciences and Health, both programs with graduates who have occupied important places in health institutions nationally and internationally.