Five civilians were killed in an attack on a house in the Yemeni port city of Hodeidah on Sunday. A spokesman for government forces said there was also a child among the victims. The house was hit by grenades from the Houthi rebels. The Houthis, however, said the house had been destroyed by two air strikes by the Saudi-led military coalition.
The Houthi rebels control the strategically important port city of Hodeidah, which has a central function in supplying the civilian population. The fighting around the city had recently intensified again despite a UN brokered ceasefire.
In the strategically important province of Marib, too, the Houthi rebels and fighters loyal to the government are currently engaged in bitter battles. The Iranian-backed rebels launched another offensive three weeks ago to take the city of Marib. It is close to some of the largest oil fields in the north of the country. The province is the last stronghold of the country’s internationally recognized government.
War has been raging in Yemen for years between the troops of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, supported by Saudi Arabia and other Arab states, and the Houthi rebels. Tens of thousands of people have already been killed in the conflict, and millions of residents have had to flee. The United Nations classifies the situation in Yemen as currently the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.