Get to know ‘food poisoning’, why it has become a popular disease that everyone has and how to prevent it. What kind of symptoms should you see a doctor?
food poisoning (Food poisoning) means diarrhea (diarrhea), which during this time It has become a popular disease for many people, whether children or adults. Not even people in the entertainment industry like ‘Add Carabao’ Most recently, he also suffered from food poisoning.
food poisoning Usually caused by eating food or drinking water contaminated with toxins. It can be a toxin caused by a wide variety of pathogens, chemicals, poisonous plants or poisonous animals, and is often found among people who eat together. There will be many symptoms at the same time. Which may have more or less symptoms, depending on the person and the amount ingested
cause of food poisoning
food poisoning that causes diarrhea Caused by eating food contaminated with pathogens or toxins of pathogens such as bacteria, viruses or protozoa. Some pathogens contaminated in food can produce toxins. Some bacterial toxins are resistant to heat. Even if the germ that produces toxins is killed by heat cooking But toxins may still be present in the food.
Foods that may cause food poisoning
Unpasteurized milk or dairy products, meat, eggs, salads, sandwiches, undercooked food, canned food, seafood, food that has been cooked for a long time and not reheated enough before eating.
symptoms of hypothermia food poisoning
when eating contaminated food or toxins of such bacteria Abdominal pain will occur. Characteristics of intermittent twisting pain, vomiting, which may also contain food waste that causes food poisoning depending on the type of pathogen that causes and may also have a fever
In general, if the symptoms are mild, the symptoms usually resolve on their own within 24 – 48 hours or gradually disappear. keep getting better in about 1 week
In severe infections, there may be symptoms that are a complication of the infection. or complications arising from severe dehydration and electrolyte and there are signs of organ failure, such as decreased urine output due to sudden kidney failure, lethargy, or confusion, etc.
incubation period of the disease
The incubation period of the disease depends on the type of infection and the toxin of the infection, for example, eating food contaminated with the toxin (Preformed toxin from Staphylococcus aureus or Bacillus cereus) has an incubation period of about 30 minutes – 6 hours. Eating food contaminated with certain bacteria that produce toxins post-ingestion, such as enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli, or whose pathogenic mechanisms damage the gastrointestinal mucosa, such as Salmonella, Campylobacter, or Shigella), will have an incubation period. About 24 hours or maybe longer. Ingestion of food contaminated with protozoa such as Cryptosporidium parvum has an incubation period of approximately 7 days.
Symptoms requiring medical attention
- Vomiting multiple times or passing loose stools several times
- There are symptoms of exhaustion, lethargy, high fever, panting, nervous system symptoms.
- eating less food and drinking water
- Has mucus or blood in the stool
- Symptoms did not improve after 48 hours.
- people with congenital disease or are immunocompromised, at risk of severe infection
rotavirus It is a type of virus that has many strains. When the virus enters the gastrointestinal tract, even a small amount can cause severe diarrhea. which is more common in young children and has more severe symptoms than older children to the point that he had to be admitted to the hospital And can happen to people of all genders and ages.rotavirusIt also withstands many hours in the environment, thus causing a rapid infestation.
- Diarrhea, watery diarrhea
- have a fever
- Seizures due to high fever
- Rotavirus can cause severe diarrhea and vomiting that can lead to severe dehydration leading to shock or death. Therefore, you should observe symptoms of dehydration that are warning signs that you need to see a doctor as soon as possible, such as thirst, dry mouth, restlessness, depression, sunken eyes, sunken head, etc.
Method of treatment
Caring for the little ones and those who are infectedrotavirusis the best Replacing lost body water to avoid severe dehydration and taking care of diet as follows
- Drink mineral water, little by little, often.
- Avoid giving antibiotics and disinfectants.
- Abstain from milk and fruit
- If it’s a small child, you don’t have to stop breastfeeding.
- If symptoms are mild, drinking water should be combined with mineral water, liquid diet and soft diet.
- If the symptoms are severe, i.e. high fever, blood in the stool, vomiting, lethargy, and extreme tiredness, you should see a doctor immediately.
careful protection rotavirus
due to infection rotavirus Most are transmitted through direct contact and eating contaminated food. Therefore, methods of protection include:
- wash your hands often
- Before and after eating, including after going to the toilet, wash your hands thoroughly every time.
- Eat freshly cooked food
- drink clean water
- Do not share eating utensils with others.
- If changing a baby’s diaper, wash your hands every time.
- Always keep toys clean.
- Avoid contact with people who have diarrhea.
The vaccine protects the little one from rotavirus
The vaccine against severe rotavirus diarrhea is currently available as an in-dose vaccine for young children only. It has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration to be effective in preventing disease. reduce the severity of the disease and has high security The first instillation will begin in children over 6 weeks of age and the next dose will be given 4 weeks later than the first instillation by mouth 2 or 3 times depending on the type of vaccine. If the child is fully vaccinated against rotavirus Although diarrhea from rotavirus infection will have mild symptoms. In this regard, a specialist pediatrician should be consulted for proper vaccination and advice.