Fulham FC beat Brentford FC and move up to the Premier League: extra time decides the game of the million

Fulham will play in the Premier League again next season after a year in the second division. The Londoners won the final of the championship promotion round at Wembley Stadium against FC Brentford 2-1 (0-0) after extra time. Joe Bryan decided the game with two goals (105th minute / 117th) and thus secured his club millions of revenues. Henrik Dalsgaard only managed the connection (120. + 3).

The final of the promotion round is advertised in England as the single game that makes the most money in football. Because the winner of the finals can expect safe income of well over 100 million euros in the coming years. Before the game, the accounting firm Deloitte calculated that Fulham would earn 150 million euros in three years from the promotion, consisting of the high television money from the Premier League and a so-called “parachute payment” of about 80 million euros, the possible relegations from the first division as financial support.

Bryan shocks Brentford

With the money, Fulham can now plan thanks to Joe Bryan. After standing 0-0 after 90 minutes, the left-back decided the game in extra time. Fulham were awarded a free kick in a left-hand position about 35 meters before Brentford’s goal. The defense and goalkeeper David Raya expected a cross into the box, but Bryan shot directly on goal. Raya was so surprised that he had no chance of defense (105.). In the second half of extra time, Bryan went on: After a one-two with Aleksandar Mitrovic, the left-back ran into the box and pushed in to 2-0 (117th). Henrik Dalsgaard only scored for Brentford (120. + 3).

Both teams had noticed nervousness beforehand and there were hardly any offensive actions. No team dared to leave the reserve. However, Fulham showed a little more initiative and controlled the ball longer. The Londoners had the better chances in the second half with a free kick from Neeskens Kebano (48.) and an uncontrolled conclusion from Bobby Reid (58.) from a few meters, but missed it the leadership.

Shortly thereafter, Fulham was also lucky not to get a penalty against himself: After a corner kick, Michael Hector deflected the ball with his arm, but referee Martin Atkinson did not point to the point (66.). As usual, the video referee was not used in the English championship. The large amount of money advertised did not change that. Brentford got into the game a bit better afterwards, but remained at 0-0 in regular time, the decision was made in overtime.

Brentford last played in the 1946/47 season in the Premier League and has now failed for the ninth time in the promotion playoffs.

Icon: The mirror

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.