After the leaks and the pre-announcements, GoPro took advantage of this month of September to announce its new action-cam, even more complete than that of last year. Here is the new GoPro Hero9 Black.
While we thought of even tougher competition against DJI, which entered the world of action-cases, GoPro was able to resist the offensives of the Chinese manufacturers very well with the Hero8 Black and its versatility. Building on the success of the latter, GoPro has just announced its brand new Hero9 Black, thus erasing the few faults of the 8 Black to be even more complete.
HyperSmooth 3.0 et TimeWarp 3.0
The biggest difference between the Hero7 Black and the Hero8 Black was in the new software versions of its flagship technologies, HyperSmooth and TimeWarp (hyperlapse mode) which made a good match between the very first version and version 2.0. With the Hero9 Black, we go to version 3.0 of Hypersmooth. Needless to say, it’s even more stable, but you don’t feel the difference between version 2.0 and version 3.0 as much as when switching from version 1.0 to 2.0. Normal. We obviously find the option HyperSmooth which cuts a little more in the image but which, in exchange, helps to boost stabilization. While on the Hero8 Black, it was necessary to go through the iOS / Android application to detect the horizon to straighten content, maintaining the horizon is now done directly on the Hero9 Black. Practical and above all, it allows new types of content.
TimeWarp (hyperlapse mode) goes to version 3.0 and if the mode still benefits from excellent stabilization, we will note the possibility of having audio as soon as we return to real speed. Remember, last year, with version 2.0, the speed could adapt to our movement to avoid having unnecessary content and with this possibility of switching to real speed at any time to have more dramatic content .
Design and Features
On the technical side, GoPro has finally changed the characteristics of its flagship product. Also, the Hero9 Black offers a brand new 23.6 Megapixel sensor and allows video recordings of up to 5K with the ability to extract 14.7 Megapixel photos from 5K videos. With its new design, we will come back to it later, the Hero9 Black accommodates a new 1720mAh battery, i.e. 30% more autonomy compared to the Hero8 Black. We have been waiting for a long time, we now have a dual LCD screen consisting of a front 1.4 inch LCD screen and an even larger rear LCD screen (16% compared to the Hero8 Black). That’s not all, it was a real criticism of the Hero8 Black, the lens is now removable, if for the moment, GoPro only offers the Max lens, the props will give it to heart- joy.
As one can imagine, with all these novelties at the hardware level, the Hero9 Black has gained in size and weight. While this will not necessarily bother the majority of users on a daily basis, some will not necessarily welcome this overweight, we are thinking in particular of drone users. As was the case with its predecessor, the Hero9 Black directly integrates the GoPro universal attachment system. No need therefore to have an external cage to hang the GoPro to its accessories, which allows a significant space saving.
The new functions
While the user interface has not changed significantly, it is enriched with a few welcome optimizations. We remind you of some practical functions such as the management of video profiles which allows you to define capture pre-settings in advance (Kinematic, Activity, Slow motion, Standard by default). The user will be able to add his own profiles. We obviously find Live Streaming in 1080p (GoPro, Facebook and Youtube) but also voice commands, SuperPhoto and HDR modes, ProTune settings.
In the new functions, we will note:
- Hindsight : allows you to capture up to 30 seconds of images before starting the recording and will thus allow you to return to the good capture if you have pressed the shutter a little late
- Scheduled capture : as its name suggests, this function allows you to define a start and end time, up to 24 hours in advance. Useful for timelapses and hyperlapses for example.
- LiveBurst : Allows you to record what happens 1.5 seconds before and after shooting. Then just choose your favorite image to get the best photo or a 3 second 4K video
- Capture Duration : Allows you to choose the exact length of time the Hero9 Black will record over a range of 15 seconds to 3 hours.
Inaugurated with the pandemic, we can of course use the Hero9 Black as a webcam with video support up to 1080p. The biggest advantage, or not, is obviously its field of vision of up to 132 °. Just plug the GoPro into your computer to use the Windows / Mac GoPro Webcam application.
With this new Hero9 Black, GoPro has revised its modules dedicated to the camera, so we have:
- Max lens module : allows to have a viewing angle close to what the GoPro Max already offers and therefore the HyperSmooth Max which offers optimal video stabilization up to 2.7K60 and an ultra-wide angle field of view of 155 °.
- Media module : This module features a built-in directional mic for optimal voice capture, a 3.5mm mic port, HDMI output and two accessory mounts. Weatherproof, it also includes removable foam protection for the microphone that eliminates wind noise up to 32 km / h.
- Display module : a 2-inch front screen for a better preview of the image. The front LCD screen will be used to indicate capture information.
- Lighting module : Robust and waterproof up to 10m, this module is compatible with most GoPro mounts and allows four light levels of up to 200 lumens.
And for the first time, exit the packaging with plastic and completely unusable except to go directly to the trash. The new GoPro Hero9Black comes in a reusable case and plastic-free packaging.
Features of the GoPro Hero9 Black :
- New image sensor
- Video: 5K30, 4K60, 2.7K120, 1440p120, 1080p240 and more
- Photo : 20 MP
- New 1.4-inch front color display with status and live preview modes
- 2.27 inch rear touchscreen with touch zoom
- Battery provides 30% more runtime and better cold weather performance compared to the HERO8 Black model
- Removable rechargeable battery
- HyperSmooth 3.0 with horizon hold integrated into the camera
- TimeWarp 3.0 at full speed and half speed
- 1080p live streaming
- Mode Webcam 1080p
- Advanced Features: HindSight, LiveBurst, Scheduled Capture and Capture Duration
- SuperPhoto and HDR Time Lapse Night Mode
- Photos RAW
- Digital goals
- Voice control with 14 commands in 11 languages and 6 accents
- 3 microphones with advanced wind noise reduction
- Stereo and RAW audio
- Bigger speaker improves audio playback
- Removable lens cover
- Integrated articulated fixing rods
- Robust and waterproof up to 10 m
- Compatible with Max lens module, light module, display module and media module for HERO9 Black
Count 479,99 euros for the Hero9 Black or 379,98 euros for members GoPro Plus (existing and new customers). Note an Accessories Pack at 529.99 euros (or 429.98 euros with GoPro Plus) which includes the action-cam, a memory card, a second battery, a clip and a floating handle. For info, the subscription GoPro Plus, this is 49,99 euros by your year 4,99 euros per month.
Regarding the modules, the Max Lens Mod is 99.99 euros, the Media Mod at 89.99 euros, the Display Mod at 79.99 euros and the Light Mod at 49.99 euros.