He dies after drinking too fast a bottle of Coca-Cola

THE ESSENTIAL

  • The liver is an organ located in the upper right part of the abdomen.
  • It filters and renews the blood.

According to a report published in the journal Clinics and Research in Hepatology and Gastroenterology, a perfectly healthy young man died after drinking a large bottle of Coca-Cola in 10 minutes.

Acute abdominal pain

This 22-year-old Chinese man went to the emergency room at Chaoyang Hospital (Beijing) after severe abdominal pain that had lasted for several hours. His heart rate was high, his blood pressure was low, and his breathing rate was slow.

A CT scan then showed that there was an accumulation of gas in his “portal vein” (which arises at the union of the splenic vein with the superior mesenteric vein, behind the pancreas). As a result, his liver was not getting enough oxygen or blood. The organ then deteriorated considerably, to the point of leading the young man to death despite the attempts of the doctors to save him.

Intestinal pressure

“In this case, consuming a large amount of Coca Cola in a short period of time first caused gas to build up in the intestinal tract. Then the intestinal pressure suddenly increased, which resulted in the buildup. of gas in the portal vein “, write the doctors in their report.

They reassure, however: “the risks that the ingestion of 1.5 liters of soft drink will be fatal are minimal”, even if we drink very quickly.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.