Health prepares for the coronavirus with special Ebola costumes

The health staff of the Valencian Community has prepared special suits to intervene in case of care for people with symptoms compatible with suffering from coronaviruses, which were already distributed during the Ebola crisis, in 2014. The Department of Health has already released the notice internal and has issued a statement to “reassure the population.”

Almost six years ago, for Ebola, these clothes were practically not used and were stored as elements called Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – except for some that were used – and have been sealed to reserve them in case of an alert such as current.

Its distribution caused some controversy because they had different qualities, and since 2014 they had only been inspected in the sanitary facilities reviews.

Another of the peculiarities of these situations is that in an ambulance transfer of a patient of these characteristics, neither the heating nor the air conditioning of the vehicle can be put into operation, to prevent the spread of the virus by the circulation of air in the circuits of refrigeration.

In principle, the intervention of transport units assisted by Basic Life Support (SVB) is planned and, in case of use, this kind of uniform must then be subjected to disinfection cleaning or discarded, depending on the materials with which they are made.

The risk really exists at the time of taking off the suit, since if it is not done correctly, there is a danger of becoming contaminated with the virus. for rubbing against an area infected by saliva or splashes of the patient.

The guideline now for health personnel is to care for people who have been in the city of Wuhan in the last 14 days and have symptoms compatible with the coronavirus, which are similar to those of the flu. One of the foreseeable actions is given if an ambulance goes to a home and finds a patient with a fever and cough. The other is if they are called from a health center or hospital. In both cases, Health has planned a series of measures widely described.

The Department of Universal Health and Public Health has assured that the Valencian health system is “prepared to detect early and put the necessary precautionary measures to control this disease.”

According to the department that Ana Barcel√≥ directs, “this is demonstrated by those cases in which the action protocol was activated, a protocol that was deactivated when it was found that the criteria were not met”.

They have also recalled that in the last two decades they have known “several epidemics worldwide in which action protocols have been put in place” (SARS 2003, pandemic flu 2009, MERS 2012, Ebola 2014 and Zika 2016) for what “the health system has experience in how it should act on these occasions”.

Health professionals “are informed of the actions they have to take in the face of the slightest suspicion of a case,” they said. The first protocol launched by the Ministry and the autonomous communities on Friday, January 24, was sent that same afternoon to the entire Surveillance Network for infectious diseases (formed by microbiologists, epidemiologists, preventivists and infectologists).

All informed
On January 27, Monday, meetings were held with public health and preventive medicine professionals to coordinate control measures. The current protocol, from January 30, has been distributed to the surveillance network and to all professionals through the management of all departments and electronic medical records (Abucasis) on the same day January 30. Therefore, “we can ensure that our professionals are perfectly informed of what they have to do,” they said.

“With the knowledge that there is at this time of the disease, and with the surveillance systems that are underway in all countries, we know that all cases diagnosed so far are directly or indirectly related to a case that resides or has been in Wuhan “, they state from Health, while pointing out:” therefore, to get this disease we must be in contact with a patient who comes from Wuhan or with a patient who in turn has been infected from a sick of Wuhan. ”

To put more prevention measures in place, WHO has decided that the action protocols will be implemented not only with citizens from Wuhan, but with all citizens who come from the province of Hubei where this city is located, they have indicated.

From Health they have pointed out that the risk that a patient from the area arrives in Spain or the Community is “very limited”, and they have recommended to citizens that “to be well informed they go to the official channels of the international health institutions, European or Spanish to have the true information of the situation “. .

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.