The criteria for obtaining an exception to that requirement or requesting an abbreviated exam.
To obtain the US citizenshipone of the requirements is to speak English. However, there are alternatives to achieve that status without meeting the basic knowledge of the native language.
As a note on the website of the specialized study Lopez Immigration explains, having documentation of US citizen It offers many benefits and opportunities. Among them, the possibility of applying for a work permit, voting or obtaining a driver’s license.
How to be a US citizen
The same note adds that to obtain this permission it is necessary:
– Being born in the country, being the son or spouse of American citizens.
– Request it through the process of naturalization. For which, it is necessary:
– Be a permanent resident (although there are some exceptions).
– Be at least 18 years old.
– Comply with other requirements that vary according to the age, marital status and military service of each applicant.
Apply for citizenship in Spanish
The obligatory question is whether the language is really an impediment to getting the application approved. In view of which, from the Lopez Immigration study they clarify that “There are a few reasons why an applicant may request a less rigorous English test. Or even, be exempted from taking that exam.
To do this, these criteria will be taken into account:
– Be over 50 years of age and have lived in the country for more than 20 years as a legal permanent resident. In this case, applicants are exempt from taking the exam in English, but must take it in Spanish.
– Be 55 years of age or older at the time of applying for citizenship and have lived as a permanent resident in the country for at least 15 years.
– Be over 65 years of age and have a permanent resident for at least 20 years. Given this situation, in addition to being exempt from the English exam, special consideration is received that also applies to the civic exam. Fewer questions will be asked and the applicant will be able to answer in their own language.
What other reasons are there to be exempt from taking the exam in English?
– Having a physical disability or a diagnosis of mental illness, which prevents memorizing and studying what is required in the citizenship exam.
In these cases, the person may request the exception, along with an endorsement from a doctor.
Another case is when it comes to orders for political asylum or for humanitarian reasons. Before which, it will not be necessary to have knowledge of English.