Published on : Modified :
Always more sports in Tokyo. Twenty-eight disciplines are in the spotlight on Sunday at the Olympics and 19 medals will be distributed. A day to follow live on France24.com.
The Tokyo Olympics continue. Nineteen additional medals will be awarded on Sunday July 25 in disciplines as diverse as skateboarding, fencing and judo.
• Judoka Amandine Buchard allowed France to win a second medal. She won silver in the final (-52 kg) after being beaten by Japan’s Uta Abe. The Abe siblings achieved an incredible feat. A few minutes after the coronation of her sister, Hifumi Abe, already double world champion, won her first Olympic gold medal in the -66 kg category against Georgian Vazha Margvelashvili.
• Corrected at the opening by Mexico, the French Olympic football team pulled off a 4-3 victory against South Africa thanks to Gignac and Savanier.
• French fencing had a complicated day: Pauline Ranvier, Anita Blaze and Yannick Borel all fell by the wayside in the first round. Ysaora Thibus and Alexandre Bardenet failed in the round of 16. Swordsman Romain Cannone saves the Blues with a qualification for the final.
• The Japanese Yuto Horigome became the first Olympic champion in the history of skateboarding, an additional sport at the Olympic Games-2020, in the men’s street category.
• The women’s road race has crowned an outsider. The Austrian Anna Kiesenhofer, present in the breakaway at the start of the race, was never caught. The Dutch, ultra-favorites, showed complacency and took too long to take the race in hand.
Follow the day’s events live on France24.com