The counselor of the National Electoral Institute (INE), Ciro Murayama Rendón, described as “unconstitutional” the referendum raised by President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (AMLO), so that citizens can decide on maintain or not the Armed Forces on the streets.
Through his official Twitter account, the electoral adviser told his followers that The consultation of the federal president violates the Constitution for “double entry”.
And it is that as explained in the message, the consultation has to do with a subject “prohibited” by the Magna Carta, since in article 35 of the Constitution it is established that cannot be subjected to referendum human rights or “national security and the organization, functioning and discipline of the permanent Armed Forces”.
Likewise, the official stressed that the president’s initiative “excludes” to the Electoral Instituteso the two previous arguments would suffice to reject it.
“The president’s ‘consultation’ proposal is attentive to the Constitution twice: 1) it is about a subject prohibited by the Magna Carta and 2) it excludes the INE. One would suffice to reject her. It is not convenient to intertwine militarization and de-democratization”
In another tweet, Ciro Murayama added that the electoral body “cannot and should not” participate in an exercise that is unconstitutionaland clarified that when the administration of the National Regeneration Movement (Morena), or any other government, wants to carry out a legal consultation on a valid issue, the INE will be in charge of organizing it.
“The simulation of ‘consultations’ is contrary to democracy,” he attacked in the message.
Before its publication, the reactions of the Internet users did not waitas several users criticized the federal president’s proposal, while others attacked the electoral advisor.
“No law allows you to make inquiries outside the law”, “Your salary also violates the constitution” and “Why do they let this president break the law? over and over again”, were some of the comments.
And it is that on September 23, President López proposed that a citizen consultation be carried out so that the people evaluate the performance of the National Guard and the permanence of the Armed Forces in public security tasks until 2028.
“The best thing is to make a consultation to the citizens, which is not a top issue. (…) That people decide, of course, that we have time to debate, continue giving information”
During his traditional press conference from the National Palace, the head of the federal Executive presented the three questions that would form part of the civic exerciseand if necessary, he said, they will be formulated in a balanced and simple way:
1.- Do you agree with the creation of the National Guard and its performance so far?
2.- Do you think that the Armed Forces, the Army and the Navy, should continue doing public security work until 2028 or that they return to their barracks in March 2024?
3.- What is your opinion; that the National Guard become part of the Ministry of National Defense or depend on the Ministry of the Interior or Public Security?
“I would like it to spread throughout the countrythat they do not decide from the leadership, that it be the people, everyone, and that all the doubts that there are be clarified, be argued for or against and then see how we collect the feelings of the people, “said the federal president.