The entrepreneur and former CEO of Corsica-Matin, Antony Perrino was remanded in custody in Aix-en-Provence on Thursday in a money laundering case linked to the Petit Bar criminal gang, told AFP the Specialized interregional court (JIRS) of Marseille and its lawyer.
The heavyweight of real estate construction in Corsica and president of the Corsica-du-Sud construction federation had been indicted on January 16 for money laundering in an organized gang, abuse of corporate assets and criminal association in an investigation into money laundering illicit activities of the criminal gang known as the Petit Bar.
He had been placed under judicial control, a decision challenged by the Marseille prosecutor’s office who appealed to the Aix-en-Provence investigative chamber and won Thursday.
“I am very surprised by this laconic decision, contrary to the very reasoned one of the first judge,” Mr. Perrino’s lawyer, Me Thierry Marembert, told AFP, announcing his intention to appeal to the Supreme Court.
“Mr. Perrino has always been at the disposal of justice and will continue to clarify what should be,” he added.
In this financial investigation, 20 other people, in addition to Mr. Perrino, were arrested on January 10 in Ajaccio and Paris and nine in total were indicted.
Among these people belonging to the close circle of the presumed members of the Petit Bar – companions and family – is the presumed leader of the gang, Jacques Santoni, severely disabled since 2003 and whose transfer to the Fresnes remand center, a “specialized establishment “in the Paris region where he can receive” appropriate care “, was ordered by the examining magistrates.
Also featured are Sonia Susini-Santoni, Jacques Santoni’s wife, and his brother Jean-Laurent Susini, both of whom have been convicted and suspected of helping the head of the “Petit Bar” launder 2.3 million euros through a win of 4.6 million euros won in the lottery by Jean-Laurent Susini.
The investigation made it possible “to highlight the handling of cash, numerous international financial movements as well as suspect real estate investments, all relating to sums largely exceeding the declared income of the accused”, had indicated Dominique Laurens, the prosecutor of the Republic of Marseille, at the end of the indictments.
According to figures put forward by the daily “Le Monde”, these embezzlements relate “to a total of 48 million offshore and real estate investments”.