Poland’s Constitutional Court has taken a further step towards implementing a ban on abortion in people with disabilities. Demonstrations were immediately launched on social media.
The controversial judgment of the Polish Constitutional Court on the ban on abortion in the case of disabilities becomes final today, Wednesday. The related controversial court ruling of October 22nd will be published in the official gazette, the news agency PAP reported, citing the government. In the evening, new protests against the tightening of abortion law began.
Contrary to custom, the decision of the constitutional court had not yet been published in the official gazette. The decision is officially valid upon publication.
Poland has one of the strictest abortion laws in Europe. Previously, abortions were allowed in the event of incest or rape, a risk to the mother’s health or life, or in the event of a severe disability of the child. This last exception was lifted by the Constitutional Court with the judgment. The slogan provoked violent mass protests in the autumn, which were soon directed against the policies of the national conservative government.
Demonstration in Warsaw
A rally in front of the Constitutional Court building in Warsaw began on Wednesday evening. The Organization of All-Poland Women’s Strike (Ogólnopolski Strajk Kobiet) called for further action in the larger Polish cities.
There were also protests from Austria against the judgment of the Constitutional Court. “The Polish government is pulling its line regardless of women’s life and de facto completely forbids abortions,” said the Green Vice Club boss Meri Disoski, outraged in a broadcast on Wednesday. Monika Vana, Head of Delegation of the Greens in the European Parliament, for her part, demanded: “The EU Commission must finally push ahead with the infringement proceedings because of the political reform of the judiciary. We cannot tolerate such a politically captured ‘constitutional court’ implementing the government’s misogynistic political program.”
The chairwoman of the SPÖ women, Gabriele Heinisch-Hosek, also spoke up: “We cannot accept this terrible attack on women’s rights in Europe! I therefore expect a public protest from the Austrian federal government, especially the Minister for Women,” said Heinisch- Hosek’s appeal to Susanne Raab (ÖVP) in a broadcast.