Home » local police chief sacked after deadly stampede at stadium

local police chief sacked after deadly stampede at stadium

by archyde

Published on :

The first sanctions fell on Monday, with the dismissal of the local police chief and the suspension of nine police officers after the stampede which caused the death of 125 people in a football stadium in Indonesia. The Indonesian president has also announced compensation to the families of the victims.

The chief of the police of the Indonesian city of Malang where occurred a stampede fatal to 125 people in a football stadium was dismissed, announced Monday, October 3, the spokesperson for the national police.

“Based on our investigation… the head of the national police has taken the decision to dismiss the Malang police chief Ferli Hidayat and replace him,” Dedi Prasetyo told a press conference. television press, during which the suspension of nine police officers was also announced.

A total of 32 children are among the 125 people killed in the deadly stampede, the Indonesian authorities have also indicated, the youngest being “a child aged two or three years”, Nahar, an official of the Ministry of Women and Child Welfare.

The deadly crowd movement also injured more than 300 people, some of whom are between life and death in hospitals in the city of Malang, in the east of the island of Java.

The drama that unfolded on Saturday night began when fans of local team Arema FC entered the pitch at Kanjuruhan Stadium in Malang on Saturday night after their team lost 3-2 to Persebaya. Surabaya, the neighboring town.

Survivors accuse police of overreacting

Police responded by firing volleys of tear gas towards the crowded stands of the stadium which held 42,000 people and was full, authorities said. Onlookers then rushed en masse to narrow doorways where many were trampled on and choked, witnesses said.

Police, two of whose officers were killed in the tragedy, described the incident as a “riot” but survivors accuse it of overreacting and causing the deaths of dozens of spectators.

“One of our messages is that the authorities are investigating this (drama) thoroughly. And we are demanding accountability. Who is to be condemned?” said Andika, who declined to give his last name.

“We demand justice for our missing supporters,” the 25-year-old Malang football fan asked.

National police spokesman Dedi Prasetyo said investigators were analyzing CCTV footage from the stadium to identify “suspects who carried out destruction”.

“I take full responsibility for the incidents that have occurred”

On television, the president of the Malang football club apologized in tears on Monday. “As president of the Arema FC club, I take full responsibility for the incidents that have occurred. I offer my deepest apologies to the victims, their families, the Indonesians and La Liga 1,” the local premier league , said Gilang Widya Pramana.

The team visited the tragedy site on Monday dressed in black t-shirts to pay their respects to the victims and lay flowers, before gathering in the grounds for prayers.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo has awarded compensation of up to 50 million rupees ($3,200) for each family of deceased victims. He had announced on Sunday the opening of an investigation into the mob, but rights groups are demanding that it be conducted independently and that the police be held accountable for the use of tear gas in a confined space.

“We call on the authorities to conduct a prompt, thorough and independent investigation into the use of tear gas in the stadium and to ensure that those who committed these offenses are tried in open court,” Amnesty International said in a statement. a statement.

Human Rights Watch has asked FIFA to conduct its own investigation and make it public.

Minister Mahfud MD said that the members of the commission of inquiry will be chosen during the next 24 hours and that they will be members of the government, analysts, officials of the world of football, media and universities, in particular. The authorities will announce the results of the investigation as soon as possible, he said, estimating that “the mission could be concluded in the next two or three weeks”.

With AFP

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.