The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has taken over the probe into the Mangaluru autorickshaw blast. The case was registered by including UAPA. Mangaluru ACP Parameshwar Hegde will hand over the case file to the NIA on Friday. A four-member NIA team along with the Mangaluru police have been partners in the investigation since day one.
The NIA had earlier taken up the case of small test explosions on the banks of Shivamoga river. The NIA took up the case four days before the Mangaluru blasts. The case was taken under the UAPA in September against Mohammad Shariq (24), Mas Ahmed (22) and Syed Yasin (22), accused in the Mangaluru blast case.
Meanwhile, the Islamic Resistance Council (IRC) claimed responsibility for the Mangaluru blast on Wednesday night. A note posted on the IRC dark website says that Muhammad Shariq is our Mujahid brother. The target was the Kadri temple, a hub of Hindu extremists. Even if it doesn’t, it’s a success. Police and intelligence failed. The note says that the blast was planned to protest against the oppression of the Muslim community. ADGP Alok Kumar is also challenging that he will suffer the consequences of harassment. The note posted by IRC contains photos of Shariq’s mobile phone.