Hello, Insiders! Our last Dev channel update for the month is rolling out. You should see version 88.0.702.0 shortly, and with it includes PDF updates and updates to how you manage history. You can read about these changes in Josh’s summary on our forums: https://t.co/u7ArMf0HLT pic.twitter.com/LiQDqtpNPa
— Microsoft Edge Dev (@MSEdgeDev) November 17, 2020
Microsoft Edge Dev is updated to version 88.0.702.0
- Added the ability to add text notes to PDF files. Please note that support is limited to Windows for now.
- Built-in Edge’s ability to proactively find and display coupons during purchases. Please note that this feature is not available for work and school accounts.
- Implemented support for automatic favorite deduplication more widely. Now, deduplication will occur every time the favorites are synced to the device.
- Added the ability to take a screenshot of the entire web page using Web Capture.
- Added configuration to the Anchor Wizard to generate more default suggestions.
- Added support for IE mode site list to be able to specify schemas (http / https) along with host and path.
- New management policies have been included to configure whether the sleep tabs are enabled, to configure the time to wait until they go to sleep, and to configure the list of URLs that are blocked from going to sleep. Please note that documentation or administrative template updates may not be available yet.
- Enabled management policy support to block external Chromium extensions.
- Edge icons have been updated to be more consistent with the Fluent design scheme.
- Fixed an issue that caused adding a bookmark directly from the bookmarks management page to sometimes crash the browser.
- Fixed an issue that caused the first start of Edge after restarting a device to sometimes hang.
- Fixed an issue that caused the browser to crash when using the Favorites menu.
- Located and fixed a crash when closing the browser.
- Amended a bug that caused PDF files to sometimes crash.
- Removed a crash when closing a PDF.
- A crash ended when printing a PDF.
- Fixed a crash when closing pop-up windows.
Located and fixed a crash when turning off the browser.
- Fixed an issue that caused logging into a browser profile that was previously logged out to sometimes crash the browser.
- Fixed an issue that caused the F6 key to sometimes crash the browser.
Removed a crash when closing the sleeping tab recognition dialog.
- Fixed a crash when opening a PDF that would end up in an Application Guard window.
- Fixed an issue that caused websites installed as applications to sometimes not start on Windows Server or other Windows accounts that raise everything by default.
- Fixed an issue that caused pages to sometimes crash when loading.
- Solved a crash when browsing websites.
- Removed a crash during browser shutdown.
- Fixed an issue where installing a website as an app sometimes fails if the site has already been pinned to the taskbar.
- Fixed a bug that caused pinning Edge to the taskbar to sometimes produce a second copy of Edge to the taskbar.
- Fixed an issue that caused the comment dialog to not appear.
Removed what caused adding a site to the “Do not delete” list in the settings to clear cookies and other site data when the browser is closed sometimes fails.
- Fixed a bug that caused dragging and dropping favorites to rearrange them from the Favorites menu to sometimes drop to a different location than what is being displayed or intended.
- Fixed where the indicator that a tab is playing audio would sometimes not appear for certain types of media.
- Fixed an issue that caused an error to sometimes occur when sorting or filtering cookies on the cookie management page.
- Fixed an issue that caused closing a web capture too quickly after copying it to sometimes cause the copy to fail.
- Fixed an issue that caused the guided switch to sometimes open the wrong page when links were redirected from personal profiles to professional / school profiles.
- Located and eliminated an issue that caused navigations redirecting to full IE to leave a blank tab in Edge.
- An issue was discovered and fixed that caused the management policy to set the default print paper size value to not work.
- Found and resolved what was causing the Information Protection icon to sometimes appear in the address bar when it shouldn’t.
- Fixed an issue that caused certain UI text to not be applied when using custom themes.
- The management policy to enable proactive authentication has been deprecated.
- The ability to pin a website installed as an app to the desktop or Start menu from edge: // apps has been temporarily removed. Note that generic websites can still be pinned to the taskbar and Start menu of…> more tools.
Known bugs for this build
- Certain extensions, such as the Microsoft Editor extension, do not work on Linux. As soon as they are installed, they are locked and disabled. We are investigating.
- Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on YouTube. As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to continue.
- Some users still have an issue where all tabs and extensions crash immediately with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error. The most common cause of this error is outdated antivirus or security software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it.
- Kaspersky Internet Suite users who have the associated extension installed can sometimes see web pages such as Gmail not loading. This error is due to the main Kaspersky software being outdated, so it is fixed by making sure the latest version is installed.
- Some users are seeing bookmarks doubling after some previous fixes were made in that area. The most common way to trigger this is by installing Edge’s stable channel and then signing in with an account that is already signed in to Edge.
- After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing windows going all black. User interface pop-ups such as menus are not affected. Also, opening the browser Task Manager (via shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it. Note that this only seems to affect users with certain hardware.
- Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touch screens. Here scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other. Note that this only affects certain websites and appears to be worse on certain devices. This is probably related to the work in progress to bring the offset back to parity with Edge Legacy behavior. So if this behavior is undesirable, we can disable it temporarily. Disabling the edge flag: // flags / # edge-experimental-scrolling.
- There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In some cases, mute and unmute fix this problem. In another, restarting the browser fixes it.