New reprieve for the Church of the Blessed Sacrament

We will still have to wait before knowing the fate of the Très-Saint-Sacrement church in Quebec. The Minister of Culture, Nathalie Roy, has just extended her notice of intention to classify the building for one year, since “new information” has been brought to her attention.



The Church of the Most Holy Sacrament is closed.


© Daniel Coulombe / Radio-Canada
The Church of the Most Holy Sacrament is closed.

According to the process provided for at the Ministry of Culture, the minister should have already decided the issue. After filing its opinion last year, it had until May 27, 2021 to make a decision and decide whether the building would be officially listed in the Cultural Heritage Register.

However, Radio-Canada has learned that Nathalie Roy has instead decided to prolong her reflection. His cabinet said this week that it is giving itself one more year to decide whether the building on Chemin Sainte-Foy should be protected.

According to his cabinet, new informationWere transmitted to the minister in recent weeks, justifying taking extra time to assess the future of the church. His press secretary refused to say more and did not comment on the timing of the final decision.

It would be surprising, however, to say that the entire deadline is used.



Renovation work had been started after pieces of the church siding fell in 2017.


© Carl Marchand/Radio-Canada
Renovation work had been started after pieces of the church siding fell in 2017.

Contested ranking

The Church of the Most Blessed Sacrament has been closed to worship and desecrated since 2019. That year, the Dina-Bélanger parish had to condemn the emergency building after having detected structural problems threatening the safety of users. Two years earlier, in 2017, stones from the facing of the church have collapsed, fortunately without causing any injuries.

In the process, the intention of the Catholic Church of Quebec was to part with the church and the land. But the Minister of Culture, Nathalie Roy, thwarted the plans when she filed a notice of intention to classify last May.

Video: Ottawa to reimburse ECPs returned to it (Le Devoir)

Ottawa will reimburse ECPs returned to it

  • Mental health: Help from the private sector is not enough
    Mental health: Help from the private sector is not enough
    Mental health: Assistance from the private sector is not enough The flagship measure of $ 25 million from the Legault government to reduce waiting lists in mental health is slow to materialize. Nearly seven months after its announcement, 542 Quebecers, out of the 19,819 waiting for services, were taken care of by psychologists and psychotherapists in the private sector, reveals a survey by Le Devoir. Le Devoir contacted 22 CIUSSS and CISSS as part of its investigation. According to the data compiled, 133 users including 5 children benefit from private therapy in the five CIUSSS of Montreal. The CIUSSS de la Capitale-Nationale transferred 13 adults and 18 children to the private sector. So far, the 10 agreements have resulted in expenditures totaling $ 10,000. No contract has yet been concluded by the CIUSSS de l’Estrie. “Efforts to recruit psychologists in private practice have not yielded the expected results,” said the establishment, which has 115 adults on its waiting list for psychotherapy. The CIUSSS de l’Ouest-de-l’Île-de-Montréal, for its part, did not see fit to call on professionals in law firms. Some 160 adults and children are on its waiting list. Asked to respond, the office of the Minister for Health and Social Services, Lionel Carmant, said he was “disappointed with the low number of patients referred to private services”. Time is running out, reports the Coalition of Psychologists of the Quebec Public Network. The COVID-19 pandemic is exacerbating psychological disorders. And the wave of mental health issues is far from abating. “Adolescents are not going well at all,” observes its president Karine Gauthier. For the psychologist, recourse to the private sector is “a bandage on an infected wound”. As of May 11, 19,819 Quebecers were waiting for a mental health service, according to the Ministry of Health and Social Services (MSSS). This is a 21% jump since July 17, according to data provided by the MSSS.

    Le Devoir logo: Le Devoir smallFavicon
    The duty

  • The
    The “super moon of super moons” in the sky on Wednesday
    The “super moon of the super moons” in Wednesday’s sky The ball of the stars offers a whole spectacle in the coming days: a super moon, a super lunar eclipse and a solar eclipse will take turns animating the celestial vault. First, the world will be able to contemplate on Wednesday night one of the largest observable full moons since Earth. When the Moon is closest to Earth, the Moon is about 356,000 kilometers away. It is said that she is then in her “perigee”. A perigee takes place at 9:53 p.m., Tuesday night, while the moon will be full in the night from Wednesday to Thursday. This coincidence a few hours apart creates the phenomenon of “super moon”. Since it will be so close to Earth, the silver disk will appear 7% larger in the sky and will inevitably be brighter. Coincidentally even rarer, this period of supermoon coincides with that of a total lunar eclipse. All lunar eclipses fall on a full moon night, but the coincidence with a “super moon” creates a “super eclipse”, says Gilles Joncas, director of the Department of Physics at Laval University. He says the eclipse will begin around 7:30 a.m. in Quebec City on May 26. The scene will only be really visible to people in the west of the country, or in Japan and Australia. On the other hand, Quebeckers can recover two weeks later, on June 10. “There will be a solar eclipse that will be visible from eastern North America,” says astrophysicist Robert Lamontagne. In Quebec, the eclipse will only be partially visible. The Moon will cover, at best, only 80% of the Sun’s surface. The curious, however, will have to get up early. The solar eclipse will begin at dawn and reach its climax between 40 minutes and an hour after sunrise, around 5:15 p.m.

    Le Devoir logo: Le Devoir smallFavicon
    The duty

  • Blinken wants to
    Blinken wants to “rebuild” the relationship between the United States and the Palestinians
    Blinken wants to “rebuild” the relationship between the United States and the Palestinians Washington wants to “rebuild” its relationship with the Palestinians while recognizing the “right” of Israel to defend itself, pleaded Tuesday the head of the American diplomacy Antony Blinken , on tour in the Middle East. “It is possible to resume efforts to achieve a two-state solution,” Israeli and Palestinian, he said at a press conference in Jerusalem. The visit of the US Secretary of State aims to consolidate a fragile truce that entered into force Friday between Israel and the Islamist movement Hamas, in power in the Gaza Strip, after 11 days of war. After meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, to whom he reaffirmed “full support for Israel’s right to defend itself”, Mr. Blinken was received by Mahmoud Abbas, the president of the Palestinian Authority in Ramallah, in Occupied West Bank. “As I told the president [Abbas], I am here to underscore the United States’ commitment to rebuilding the relationship with the Palestinian Authority and the Palestinian people, ”he said. This relationship must be “built on mutual respect”, because Palestinians and Israelis equally deserve “security, opportunity for freedom and dignity”. In the evening, however, Mr. Blinken warned Israelis and Palestinians against “any measure” that could spark a spark or undermine the prospect of a return to the two-state solution. He cited as an example “the activities of colonization, demolition, expulsion” as well as “calls for violence or the financing of terrorists”. From May 10 to 21, 253 Palestinians were killed by Israeli strikes in the Gaza Strip, including 66 children and fighters, according to local authorities. In Israel, rocket fire from Gaza killed 12 people, including a child, a teenage girl and a soldier, according to police.

    Le Devoir logo: Le Devoir smallFavicon
    The duty

NEXT VIDEO

NEXT VIDEO

The Church was fiercely opposed and promised to challenge this decision. We are very astonished, very surprised, and to a certain extent, in shock. That church had serious structural problems. We will oppose with all our strength this declaration as a historic monument.», Said Marc Pelchat, priest of the Archdiocese of Quebec.

This position has not changed, we told the diocese of Quebec on Saturday.



The interior of the Most Blessed Sacrament Church during a mass before it closes in 2019.


© / Radio-Canada
The interior of the Most Blessed Sacrament Church during a mass before it closes in 2019.

“Reassuring” study

Minister Nathalie Roy’s decision is better received by the SOS Saint-Sacrement citizen committee, which defends the church and its heritage classification since the closure. The initiator of the movement and resident of the Saint-Sacrement district, Louis Bélanger, sees it as a new reprieve.

It will allow us to work better, to tie more stringsHe said of a community conversion project put forward by the movement. SOS Très-Saint-Sacrement set up a non-profit organization this winter, called Espace communautaire Saint-Sacrement.

We want to create a core of activities»Sufficient to generate rental income. Mr. Bélanger maintains that several neighborhood organizations, including the recreation center, lack space and could benefit from the redevelopment of the church.



Quebec Minister of Culture and Communications Nathalie Roy.


© Ivanoh Demers/Radio-Canada
Quebec Minister of Culture and Communications Nathalie Roy.

In the process, the movement also paid for an engineering study to assess the quality of the structure of the building, considered dangerous by the parish of Dina-Bélanger. Paid in large part by a budget released by the minister herself, the independent report produced by the firm EMS Engineering was submitted to the government two weeks ago.

The conclusion is that this is a reassuring study. The structure is in good condition», Reports Louis Bélanger. He does not deny that there are known and obvious problems with the stone facing. However, the study considers that there is no apparent reason to demolish the building».

Louis Bélanger praised the minister’s listening to this file.

With the collaboration of Edith Hammond

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.