Sometimes it’s not so easy to tell if you’re missing a certain nutrient. Because even if you eat seemingly healthy, it can lead to an undersupply. Vegetarians and vegans are often affected. We’ll show you which ones Symptoms you one Lack an Omega 3 can recognize.
This is how you recognize a lack of omega-3 fatty acids
Why does the body need Omega 3?
The body cannot produce omega-3 fatty acids itself. They are therefore among the essential fatty acids. That means we them must be ingested through foodn. You are very important for the metabolism. In the body, they ensure the structure of the cell membrane. They are also required for the production of certain tissue hormones. As studies have shown, omega-3 fatty acids have an anti-inflammatory effect and strengthen the immune system.
Omega 3 is one of those polyunsaturated fatty acids. Three of them are of particular importance to us:
- Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA): The vegetable omega-3 fatty acid contributes to normal cholesterol levels
- docosahexaenoic acid (DHA): Obtained primarily from fish and algae and is necessary for normal brain function
- eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA): Also obtained from algae and fish, strengthens the heart and blood pressure
5 symptoms that indicate an omega-3 deficiency
With an omega-3 deficiency, the body can no longer function properly. It works the following symptoms noticeable:
- high blood pressurek: If the systolic value is above 140 lies and the diastolic over 90, you have high blood pressure.
- tiredness and difficulty concentratinge: Who has trouble concentrating and If you are constantly tired even though you are getting enough sleep, you should definitely take a close look at your diet.
- decreased eyesight: Omega 3 works also affect eyesight. According to the study, an omega-3-rich diet can have a positive effect on the course of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and improve vision.
- slow ones wound healing: If small wounds take an exceptionally long time to heal, a doctor should be consulted.
- dry High: A lack of omega 3 can be noticed not only by dry skin, but also by small pimples on the back of the upper arms.
What foods contain omega 3?
As you have seen, Omega 3 both in plant and animal form available. Especially types of fish like Salmontrout and tuna contain animal-based omega 3. vegetable oils such as flaxseed oil and canola oil are also good sources of Omega 3.
As a vegetarian or vegan, you should take special care to consume enough omega 3. Instead of kernels, nuts and seeds can omega 3 also in the form of capsules be supplemented. It is best to talk to a doctor about it if you suspect you have an omega-3 deficiency. Appropriate preparations can then be prescribed for you.
You might also be interested in: