“There are currently no reports about [korban] injury [dari] service members [militer] US and everything has been accounted for. A US civilian contractor suffered a heart attack while taking shelter and died shortly thereafter, “Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said in a statement Wednesday (3/3/2021) evening.
Also read: Rockets Attack U.S. Troops Holding Base Iraq
Kirby’s statement added that Iraqi security forces were continuing to investigate the series of rocket attacks and had not confirmed the extent of the damage and who was responsible.
The base was hit by at least 10 rockets. The attacks come just days ahead of Pope Francis’ historic visit to Iraq.
Kirby noted that from the initial investigation there were about 10 rockets launched from a site east of the air base.
He said the base’s Counter-Rocket, Artillery, Mortar (C-RAM) missile defense system was activated, but it was unclear the weapon system had managed to intercept the incoming rockets.
On Wednesday morning, Colonel Wayne Marotto, spokesman for the US military in Iraq and spokesman for Operation Inherent Resolve, confirmed that Ain al-Asad Air Base had been attacked by at least 10 rockets. He was, as quoted Russia Today, added that the base housing US and international coalition forces was attacked at around 7:20 am local time.
Ain al-Asad Air Base is a base that was bombarded with Iranian missiles last year. The missile attack in initial retaliation for the killing of General Qassem Soleimani by the US drone left hundreds of US soldiers with concussions.