Home » Economy » The CEO of cosmetics Lush says he is “happy to lose 13 million dollars” by leaving social networks

The CEO of cosmetics Lush says he is “happy to lose 13 million dollars” by leaving social networks

Published:

27 nov 2021 05:37 GMT

The businessman says he had another option, after Facebook’s internal investigation that suggests that its Instagram application negatively affects teenagers.

The CEO of the cosmetics brand Lush said he was “happy to lose $ 13 million” after deleting his social media accounts, in response to the damage they cause to teenage girls, as reflected in an internal investigation recently leaked by an employee.

The cosmetics company closed its accounts of Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Snapchat Worldwide.

Earlier this week the British brand ad his exit from the networks, on the eve of one of the biggest shopping days of the whole year, the so-called ‘black friday’.

“I am happy to lose £ 10 million [13,3 millones de dólares] for leaving Facebook “, said Mark Constantine, CEO of the company to The Guardian, forwarding the financial consequences that will entail the decision.

Annoyed by Meta’s lack of reaction to the leaked information about the existence of an internal investigation that suggests that its Instagram application worsens the adolescent body image problems, the manager assures that he had “no other option.”

“I just thought, ‘That’s their own research and they are ignoring it and we are drawing people to their platform,'” said the 69-year-old businessman.

Stepping out of the assumptions that, in reality, the step taken is a marketing move to attract more customers, Constantine assured that it is a decision made for “genuine reasons”. “We haven’t done it as a public relations stunt,” he said, adding that if the brand backed down now “it would be a laughingstock.”

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.