The curfew is not going to end, warns Legault | Coronavirus

Most of these restrictions will stay, Prime Minister François Legault said Thursday at a press conference in which Minister of Health and Social Services Christian Dubé and National Director of Public Health Horacio Arruda also participated.

There are expectations that there will be a lot of flexibilities. I want to be very clear today: there is going to be some easing on February 8, but most of the measures will stay.

François Legault, Premier of Quebec

As for the curfew in effect since January 9, it should be maintained, in Montreal as elsewhere, according to what Christian Dubé suggested.

<q data-attributes="{"lang":{"value":"fr","label":"Français"},"value":{"html":"Il y a une chose qu'on voit, c'est que ça fonctionne avec le couvre-feu, a déclaré le ministre. Les gens qu'on rencontre nous disent: “At least it’s clear, we know the rules “. And what is encouraging is that we see that it has gone down. “,” Text “:” There is one thing that we see is that it works with the curfew, said the minister. The people we meet tell us: “At least it’s clear, we know the rules “. And what is encouraging is that we can see that it has dropped. “}}” Lang = “fr”>There is one thing we can see is that it works with the curfew, said the minister. The people we meet tell us: “At least it’s clear, we know the rules”. And what is encouraging is that we can see that it has dropped.

Although new infections and hospitalizations are indeed on the decline in Quebec, Premier Legault believes that the time has not yet come to let our guard down or to give up the load-shedding of surgical operations.

As he had indicated on Tuesday, his government will take stock next week to clarify its intentions.

The curfew was originally scheduled to end on February 8, but everything indicates that it will continue after that date. In short, everything indicates that the vast majority of Quebecers will have to continue to take their troubles patiently.

Of worries in preparation for the break

We should not expect any significant easing of the measures during the spring break, warned Prime Minister Legault on Thursday. That of last year was disastrous, when several Quebecers who traveled to the United States had introduced the coronavirus on this side of the border.

To avoid unnecessary spread, Mr. Legault asks Quebeckers to stay in their respective regions this year, but the return of roadblocks seems superfluous to him; the monitoring of the curfew already occupies the police enough without them being solicited more, he explained.

On the other hand, Mr. Legault asks parents not to rely on grandparents to look after the children during that week. The Prime Minister recalls that people aged 65 and over still represent 80% of hospitalizations and 95% of deaths linked to COVID-19.

Especially since everything suggests that most seniors will still have to wait before getting vaccinated. The federal government’s delivery schedule is constantly reviewed, deplores Christian Dubé.

This is not good news on the vaccine side today, let’s be clear, railed the minister on Thursday, referring to further delay in delivery of Pfizer vaccine doses announced expected in the short term.

We had people we planned to do in the RPAs [résidences privées pour aînés] and that we are not able to do at the moment.

Christian Dubé, Minister of Health and Social Services

Prime Minister Legault is also dissatisfied with Justin Trudeau’s indecisiveness over non-essential travel, which he admitted to not being able to ban himself. Is his confidence in the federal government shaken?

<q data-attributes="{"lang":{"value":"fr","label":"Français"},"value":{"html":"Ce n'est jamais simple et il n'y a rien de parfait, a rétorqué M.Legault. But we must see the alternative … Are Quebeckers ready to vote yes in a referendum tomorrow morning? I think that having a party and a government trying to make Quebec more fall […], it is still the best alternative. “,” text “:” It is never easy and there is nothing perfect, retorted Mr Legault. But we must see the alternative … Are Quebeckers ready to vote yes in a referendum tomorrow morning? I think that having a party and a government trying to make Quebec more fall […], it is still the best alternative. “}}” lang = “fr”>It is never simple and there is nothing perfect, replied Mr. Legault. But we must see the alternative … Are Quebeckers ready to vote yes in a referendum tomorrow morning? I think that having a party and a government trying to make Quebec more fall […], it is still the best alternative.

The fear of the British variant

Quebec public health on Thursday identified 37 more deaths and 1,368 new cases, bringing the number of confirmed cases since the start of the pandemic to 258,698.

The number of hospitalizations fell by 26 compared to the previous day’s data, for a total of 1,264 patients bedridden due to COVID-19. Of this number, 212 people are being treated in intensive care, 9 less than the day before.

The evolution of COVID-19 in Quebec

In this context, Prime Minister Legault believes that the spread of the new British variant could lead to a catastrophe in Quebec hospitals if he were to settle there.

The UK currently has over 37,000 hospitalizations due to COVID-19; it is as if Quebec had about 4,600, he illustrated.

In the meantime, the Legault government will invest to better detect the presence of new variants during COVID-19 screening tests. An announcement to this effect will be made shortly, said Minister Dubé.

A day to remember

François Legault also announced Thursday that a national day of commemoration will take place on March 11 to pay tribute to the victims of the new coronavirus. It is still too early to determine whether this event will return every year, the Prime Minister’s Office said after the press conference.

A homeless man crosses a street after dark.

The statements of offense issued to homeless for violating the curfew will be canceled, Prime Minister Legault promised Thursday.

Photo: Radio-Canada / Daniel Thomas

Finally, the Prime Minister said that he himself had decided that the government would not dispute the Superior Court’s safeguard order suspending the application of the curfew for the homeless.

Fines handed to homeless people for violating the January 8 decree will be canceled, he promised. He specified that to his knowledge, less than 10 tickets had been distributed specifically for this reason.

With Sébastien Bovet, Hugo Lavallée and La Canadian press

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.