This year (2021), the hottest topic for obesity treatment is the approval of Semaglutide in the United States in June 2021 for the treatment of obesity. This is, since 2014, finally another drug has been approved. Many friends who are eager to lose weight heard the news and sent private messages to me, wanting to know more about the hottest weight loss needle this year. Before using any medicine or treatment, you should fully understand its content and information. Today I will uncover the mystery of the weight loss needle.
Drug introduction: Semaglutide was originally a drug for the treatment of diabetes
This hot weight loss needle, the scientific name is Semaglutide, and the full name is “GLP-1 agonist”. In fact, Semaglutide was originally designed to treat diabetes! In the research process to test the effect of diabetes treatment, great weight loss results were found at the same time. Therefore, follow-up large-scale trials were conducted on obese patients without diabetes, and excellent weight loss results were obtained. It was subsequently approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use Weight loss treatment.
Different dosage forms have different uses
It is worth noting that Semaglutide, in the treatment of diabetes and obesity, has two dosage forms, as follows:
- Ozempic (pancreatic tozan): lower dose, used to treat diabetes, Taiwan Food and Drug Administration has not yet approved for obesity treatment.
- Wegovy (not introduced in Taiwan): Higher dose, used to treat obesity, US Food and Drug Administration has approved it for obesity treatment. Taiwan has not yet introduced it.
Weight loss mechanism: Semaglutide can delay gastric emptying, increase the maintenance time of fullness, and reduce appetite by suppressing the hunger center
Semaglutide uses multiple mechanisms to suppress the appetite of patients and reduce food cravings. There are two main mechanisms. First, Semaglutide can delay gastric emptying, reduce and extend the time that food stays in the gastrointestinal tract, and make the time of fullness longer. Semaglutide can even affect appetite from the level of the central nervous system. By inhibiting the hunger center (NPY/AgRP neurons) and activating the satiety center (POMC neurons), it can effectively reduce the patient’s appetite.
Weight loss and health benefits
Semaglutide’s weight loss test recruited 1,306 non-diabetic experimental subjects, with an average weight of 105 kg. After 68 weeks of using Semaglutide, the weight of the subjects lost an average of 15.3 kg (14.9%), much higher than the 2.6 kg (2.4%) of the placebo group. It was also found in the experiment that Semaglutide can simultaneously improve the subjects’ blood sugar, blood pressure, and blood fat, further reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
What are the possible side effects?
- Gastrointestinal discomfort: the most common, almost everyone will encounter it, usually relieved within one to four weeks, so in the early stage of use, you must slowly increase the dose from a low dose. You can follow the three principles when eating: do not eat too fast, Do not eat too much, do not eat too much oil, so as to reduce gastrointestinal discomfort.
- Accelerated heartbeat: Some subjects reported that the discomfort of accelerating heartbeat and palpitations would gradually ease over time.
- Melancholy or suicidal ideation: 10% of people may have psychological side effects when using it. If you are in a bad mood, unable to improve your life for a long time after use, or even have thoughts of self-injury, please go back to the doctor immediately to discuss whether to stop the medication.
- Inflammation of the biliary tract or cholestasis: The incidence is about 2%. If there is pain in the upper right abdomen or upper abdomen during use, please consult a doctor and have a doctor evaluate whether related side effects occur.
- The remaining side effects with an incidence rate of less than 1%: pancreatitis, acute renal failure, hypoglycemia, diabetic retinopathy, etc.
Who can’t use it?
- I or a family member suffers from medullary thyroid cancer. Semaglutide seems to increase the risk of medullary thyroid cancer in mice in animal experiments, and there is no relevant report in human experiments.
- I suffer from multiple endocrine tumor syndrome type II.
- Women who plan to become pregnant, or are pregnant or breastfeeding.
What did Dr. He say
I think that for most obese patients, diet and exercise are definitely the most important treatments, and weight loss drugs are not necessarily required.
There are three kinds of people who can consider using weight loss needles as adjuvant therapy:
- BMI ≥ 27 and have obesity complications;
- Has reached moderate obesity (BMI>30);
- Those who cannot effectively control appetite and eating habits with the assistance of physicians, nutritionists, and psychologists.
These three types of people can consider using weight loss needles in the early stage of weight loss to assist in weight loss. At the same time, patients must learn the correct diet, exercise and lifestyle to achieve long-term maintenance of a healthy body. Since the main principle of weight loss needles is to suppress appetite, if you do not learn to change your eating habits while using the drug, you must pay special attention to the risk of regaining weight after stopping the drug.
- Note: This article is a drug introduction and sharing, and does not provide medical advice for individuals. If you have any questions about treatment or use, please discuss with your doctor.
- FDA NEWS RELEASE
- Once-Weekly Semaglutide in Adults with Overweight or Obesity
- Mechanisms of Action and Therapeutic Application of Glucagon-like Peptide-1
- Safety, tolerability and sustained weight loss over 2 years with the once-daily human GLP-1 analog, liraglutide
- Liraglutide （Saxenda） for Weight Loss
- Healthy Weight Loss Maintenance with Exercise, Liraglutide, or Both Combined
This textDr. He Zhongyou’s family doctor, Dr. Eric. delicacy.Healthy postureAuthorized to publish, original textPublished here
Editor in charge: Xiao Fanru
Core draft editor: Weng Shihang