The pole war is not behind us at all

Despite what Bell argues, nothing has been settled in the issue of access to the company’s poles in order to allow high-speed internet connection to more Quebec homes, says Quebecor’s big boss, Pierre Karl Péladeau. .

• Read also: The internet still inaccessible in the era of teleworking

• Read also: Not connected, except the surroundings of the chalet of the boss of Bell

The businessman made this statement Thursday when unveiling the financial results of the company, which owns among others the TVA Group as well as Videotron, in addition to the Journal of Montreal and from the Journal de Québec.

Earlier this week, Bell Quebec’s director of government affairs and community relations, Charles Gosselin, told the Journal that “access to poles is no longer a contemporary issue, it is an issue that has been settled”.

“This is once again a simple public position, because we are far from seeing significant progress on the ground,” said Mr. Péladeau, Thursday.

According to Premier François Legault, there are still 251,000 Quebec households without high speed internet connection in Quebec.

Access to these famous poles, which belong to Bell, but also to Hydro-Québec, Télébec and Telus, is necessary for the deployment of the service in several regions.

“With our growing list of allies, including many small regional competitors struggling to expand their networks, we are calling for swift action on this front,” added Mr. Péladeau.

Increasing revenues

For the last three months of 2020, Quebecor saw its revenues climb 0.9% to $ 1.15 billion.

Profits increased 9% to $ 159.8 million. For the year 2020, the company recorded revenues of $ 4.32 billion, an increase of 0.6% compared to 2019.

Net income attributable to shareholders, however, was down $ 45.6 million ($ 0.14 per basic share) from 2019. It was $ 607.2 million ($ 2.41 per share). base) in 2020.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.