The firm Times Higher Education (THE) published the results of THE World University Rankings 2024, in which 21 Colombian universities appeared. And on this occasion, the list came with a big surprise: a regional university is the one that appears as the second best positioned in the country, above the institutions that traditionally occupy the first places.
This is the Universidad de la Costa, which managed to position itself not only as the second best in the country but as number 10 in Latin America, only below the Universidad de Los Andes, which appears in the highest position, and in eighth place in the region.
They are followed by the Icesi and Antioquia universities, while the National University of Colombia is just positioned in seventh place in the country, which is a surprise, given that this is historically considered the most prominent public institution.
A total of 1,904 universities from 108 countries and regions are included in this year’s global rankings, making it the largest edition in the rankings’ 20-year history.
It is worth remembering that the THE world ranking evaluates universities with a high level of research based on 18 leveled performance indicators, which are grouped into five pillars: teaching, research quality, research environment, international perspective and industry. The five new metrics include three that analyze research quality and one that examines patents in the industry pillar.
In this order of ideas, Colombian universities stand out especially in the research quality indicator, as well as in international perspective. However, they have a lot to improve in terms of research and teaching environment.
Speaking about this, Phil Baty, chief knowledge officer at Times Higher Education, commented: “Overall, we are seeing steady improvement from universities in Latin America, with some countries performing much better than last year, such as Colombia. ”.
Read also: The top of the best schools in Saber 11 tests in the country, is yours there?
He added: “However, I must point out that most universities in the rest of the world have improved at a greater rate than their Latin American counterparts, making it much more difficult for higher education institutions in the region to stay in the forefront. classification”.
The best universities in Colombia
It is important to note that in all university rankings, including this one from THE, starting from certain positions, the list does not say the exact position but rather the range of positions in which a university is located. For example, 801-1,000 means that the institution is ranked among those positions worldwide.
When analyzing data from a country, such as Colombia, it is specified which universities located in the same range have better performance than others. That is, there may be two national institutions in the range 801-1,000, but the list shows which of the two is above the other.
1. Universidad de los Andes (ranked 801-1,000 worldwide)
2. University of the Coast (801-1,000)
3. Icesi University (1,001 – 1,200)
4. University of Antioquia (1,201-1,500)
5. University of Cartagena (1,201-1,500)
6. University of Rosario (1,201-1,500)
7. National University (1,201-1,500)
8. Pontifical Javeriana University (1,201-1,500)
9. Antonio Nariño University (1,500+)
10. University of Caldas (1,500+)
11. CES University (1,500+)
12. Eafit University (1,500+)
13. El Bosque University (1,500+)
14. Industrial University of Santander (UIS) (1,500+)
15. Universidad del Norte (1,500+)
16. Nueva Granada Military University (1,500+)
17. Pedagogical and Technological University (1,500+)
18. Pontifical Bolivarian University (1,500+)
19. Universidad de la Sabana (1,500+)
20. Technological University of Pereira (1,500+)
21. Universidad del Valle (1,500+)
The top 10 in Latin America
This year there are 197 universities from 15 countries in the region. Brazil has the largest number of institutions in the ranking, with 56. Chile is in second place, with 28 universities, up from 23 last year. Colombia occupies third place with 21, and Mexico, fourth with 20.
The best-ranked university in Latin America is a Brazilian university, the University of São Paulo, which almost makes it into the top 200 in the world, placing itself in the group 201 to 250 in the largest edition in the history of the World University Rankings. from Times Higher Education (THE).
The University of Campinas, also in Brazil, is the second best-ranked university in Latin America, located in the 351 to 400 group, previously in the 401 to 500 group.
The best positioned Chilean university and the third in Latin America is the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, which is in the group 401 to 500.
In this way, Colombia has the third best performance in the region, with two institutions in the top 10 seen below:
1. University of São Paulo (Brazil) (201-250)
2. University of Campinas (Brazil)
3. Pontifical Catholic University of Chile (Chile)
4. Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP) (Brazil)
5. Federal University of Río de Janeiro (Brazil)
6. Federal University of Río Grande do Sul (Brazil)
7. Monterrey Institute of Technology (Mexico)
8. University of Los Andes (Colombia)
9. University of Chile (Chile)
10. Universidad de la Costa (Colombia)
– In Peru it is the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, which is in the group 1,001 to 1,200.
– In Ecuador it is the Universidad San Francisco de Quito, in the group 1,001 to 1,200.
– In Jamaica it is the University of the West Indies, in the group 1,001 to 1,200.
– In Costa Rica it is the University of Costa Rica, in the group 1,201 to 1,500.
– In Puerto Rico it is the University of Puerto Rico, in the group 1,201 to 1,500.
– In Argentina they are the National University of the Litoral, the National University of Córdoba and the National University of San Martín, in the group of 1,501+.
– In Cuba it is the University of Havana, in the group of 1,501+.
– In Venezuela it is the University of the Andes, Venezuela, in the group of 1,501+.
The best universities in the world
The United Kingdom’s Oxford University is the highest-ranked university in the world in the World University Rankings, with Stanford University in second place, making it the highest-ranked university in the United States. In third place is the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
1. University of Oxford (United Kingdom)
2. Stanford University (United States)
3. Massachusetts Institute of Technology – MIT (United States)
4. Harvard University (United States)
5. University of Cambridge (United Kingdom)
6. Princeton University (United States)
7. California Institute of Technology – CalTECH (United States)
8. Imperial College London (United Kingdom)
9. University of California, Berkeley (United States)
10. Yale University (United States)
11. ETH Zurich (Suiza)
12. Tsinghua University (China)
13. The University of Chicago (United States)
14. Peking University (China)
15. Johns Hopkins University (United States)
16. University of Pennsylvania (United States)
17. Columbia University (United States)
18. University of California, Los Angeles (United States)
19. National University of Singapore (Singapur)
20. Cornell University (United States)
#surprise #top #Colombia