Lori Loughlin will be on trial earlier than she would like.
While Full house The actress’ legal team tried – and will continue to try – to postpone her trial date to “February 2021 at the earliest.” District judge Nathaniel Gorton said Thursday that it will continue this fall.
Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Giannulli, who are accused of paying $ 500,000 in bribes to bring their prominent daughters to the University of Southern California, are due to be tried before the Boston Federal Court on October 5. They will be brought to justice among the first group of defendants – including six other parents accused of the widespread system – and the jury selection would begin in late September.
A second group of defendants out of a total of 15 received the scheduled trial date on January 11, 2021.
Gorton told lawyers he was “concerned about pre-trial public relations” in the “high profile case” Bloomberg news, But he added: “It is not tried in the newspapers and on the Internet.”
Earlier this month, Loughlin’s lawyer Sean M. Berkowitz from Latham & Watkins requested the trial date for the actress next year, as prosecutors recently discovered “over 44,000 pages” of discoveries – relevant documents and other potential evidence – in the January case. He said it was “not feasible” to do this beforehand due to the “large volume of discovery” and the “general complexity of the case”.
The judge also apparently failed to comply with Berkowitz’s request regarding the groups of the accused for trial. The lawyer had asked for three groups, with Loughlin and Giannulli in a proposed “Group B” with only parents who were said to have paid bribes to bring their children to the USC. However, they belong to the first group and there are a total of two groups.
On Wednesday, the Loughlin and Giannulli law team alleged in a lawsuit that, among the discoveries uncovered by prosecutors, there was evidence that the couple would be “exonerated”. They pointed out notes made by the college admissions scandal mastermind, William “Rick” Singer, while working with the FBI in 2018, that are said to support the couple’s defense that they believed their donations were legitimate.
The so-called “bomb” evidence comes from notes Singer had taken over the phone from investigators saying that he allegedly pressured him to lie and say that the parents knew they were paying bribes when he told them that they run legitimate charities and donations to his charity.
Defense lawyers said Singer’s note was “exonerating for the accused” and “devastating for the government’s case.” They also said it “shows that the government has unjustly withheld key exonerating information and has tried at all costs instead of meeting its obligation to do justice.”
With that in mind, the defense, according to CBS Boston, called for another delay in setting today’s trial date, but the judge set the date anyway. The judge petitioned for March 13 filing in connection with what the Loughlin attorney described as “Prosecutorial Misconduct.” If necessary, a hearing could take place in April.
Singer pleaded guilty in the case and admitted that he had taken money from rich customers to correct their children’s test results or to take them to school as false sports recruits through a side door. He is waiting for the conviction and continues to work with the government.
The college admissions scandal has fascinated America since it was first discovered in March last year. More than 50 people, including 36 parents, have been indicted, including 21 parents Desperate housewives Actress Felicity Huffman – admit to cheating. Huffman, who paid $ 15,000 to correct her daughter’s SAT, was already serving her prison term last fall – just 11 days.
Loughlin and Giannulli, who keep their innocence, can face up to 45 years in prison.
Read more from Yahoo Entertainment:
Would you like to receive daily pop culture messages in your inbox? Sign in here for the Yahoo Entertainment & Lifestyle newsletter.