Maikel Van Rompaey, a young man of 28, died in Zandhoven in the province of Antwerp on the night of Thursday to Friday, on New Year’s Eve, after a rocket from a fireworks exploded in him in the face.
The victim was in the company of his family and throwing fireworks despite the ban on the use of pyrotechnic equipment on New Year’s Eve.
The man was confronted with a technical problem with one of the rockets and wanting to take a closer look at the equipment, the projectile exploded in his face, police explained. He did not survive his injuries.
According to the father of the victim, who spoke in the columns of Laatste Nieuws, Maikel wanted to put on fireworks to pay tribute to his mother, who died last August from cancer.