Two Dominicans and a Haitian were kidnapped in Haiti and their captors are asking for US $ 2 million to free them

The kidnappers of two Dominicans and a Haitian who are part of a film crew have asked for $ 2 million in exchange for their release in Port-au-Prince, according to the Haitian press.

The two Dominicans work as technicians at the Muska Group film production company and at the time of the kidnapping, on Saturday in Port-au-Prince, as they returned to the capital after filming in the south of the country, they were accompanied by a Haitian interpreter, as he said this Sunday. to Efe a person in charge of the company.

“Indeed, two Dominican technicians and a Haitian interpreter were kidnapped,” said the head of the Haitian production company, who did not want to add more details.

The abduction took place on Saturday night in the area known as 5th Avenue, at the southern entrance to Port-au-Prince, a sector considered anarchic due to the existing insecurity.

The kidnapping occurred between 9:45 pm and 10:00 pm on Saturday (02:45 am and 03:00 am GMT on Sunday), when the production company’s team had just returned to the Haitian capital, after a late filming in the coastal city of Jacmel.

The vehicle was being escorted by police vehicles in front and behind, according to sources familiar with the events.

According to sources, the Dominicans had expensive cinematographic equipment in the vehicle, which was also taken away by the gang of kidnappers.

Since last year, the number of kidnappings in Haiti has skyrocketed, perpetrated by armed gangs that kidnap people from all walks of life daily to demand ransoms.

According to estimates by the National Network for the Defense of Human Rights (RNDDH), there are currently more than five kidnappings a day in the country, the director of the organization, Mary Rosy Auguste Ducéna, told Efe.

.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.