Conor McGregor will return to the Octagon after more than a year of absence in the UFC 257 and he will do it at the Etihad Arena in Abu Dhahbi, which will have two thousand fans waiting to see him in action.
The rival of ‘The Notorious’ will be Dustin Poirier, an opponent whom he already faced in 2014. Therefore, it will be a more than attractive sequel given that both have improved in all these years.
‘The Notorious’ in his goal to regain the UFC lightweight title will again face ‘The Diamond’, whom he beat in 2014 by technical knockout. However, a long time passed, and both are in another stage.
The Conor McGregor fight, which will be part of the third event in a week in Abu Dhabi, will take place this Saturday, January 23, on the so-called UFC fight island (Fight Island). The event will have 13 matches, between preliminaries and stellar.
UFC 257: Conor McGregor return schedules and channels
- Mexico: 5:15 pm (first preliminaries) / 7:00 pm (preliminaries) / 9:00 pm (stellar) – FOX Sports – FOX Action
- Peru: 6:15 pm (first preliminaries) / 8:00 pm (preliminaries) / 10:00 pm (stellar) – ESPN – FOX Action
- Colombia: 6:15 pm (first preliminaries) / 8:00 pm (preliminaries) / 10:00 pm (stellar) – ESPN – FOX Action
- United States (Eastern Time): 6:15 pm (first preliminaries) / 8:00 pm (preliminaries) / 10:00 pm (stellar) – ESPN – PPV
- Argentina: 8:15 pm (first preliminaries) / 10:00 pm (preliminaries) / 12:00 am (Sunday, January 24) (stellar) – ESPN – FOX Action
- Chile: 8:15 pm (first preliminaries) / 10:00 pm (preliminaries) / 12:00 am (Sunday, January 24) (stellar) – FOX Sports – FOX Action
- Spain (Sunday, January 24): 12:15 am / 02:00 am / 04:00 am – DAZN
Six months ago, Conor McGregor shocked everyone by once again announcing his retirement from mixed martial arts. But the decision was short-lived, as he decided to go back to focus again on getting the lightweight belt.
McGregor’s last fight was in January of last year against Donald Cerrone. Although he did it in a different category (welterweight), the Irishman dominated the ‘Cowboy’ and defeated him in just 40 seconds.
For his fight against Poirier, the Irishman has promised his fans the same forcefulness. “I like Dustin. I think he’s a good fighter, even a great fighter. But it is still below me. I’ll knock him out in 60 seconds, “he said.
For his part, Poirier comes off a victory against Dan Hooker that put him back on the road to victory. This after he lost to Khabib Nurmagomedov in 2018.
Indeed, the presence of Khabib seems to be confirmed for that night. In the words of Dana White, the Russian will see the event from start to finish and if he is dazzled by a fighter, he might think about fighting again. Extra motivation especially for Conor McGregor.
It should be noted that the co-main event for UFC 257 will be between Dan Hooker and Michael Chandler, also at lightweight. ‘The Hangman’ will welcome the former Bellator champion to the Octagon.
UFC 257: Conor McGregor’s return full card
Lightweight: Dustin Poirier vs. Conor McGregor – Stars
Lightweight: Dan Hooker vs. Michael Chandler – Stellar
Female Flyweight: Jessica Eye vs. Joanne Calderwood – Stellar
Lightweight: Matt Frevola vs. Ottman Azaitar – Stellar
Female Strawweight: Marina Rodriguez vs. Amanda Ribas – Stars
Peso Ligero: Nasrat Haqparast vs. Arman Tsarukyan – Preliminares
Average Weight: Brad Tavares vs. Antônio Carlos Júnior – Preliminaries
Female Bantamweight: Julianna Peña vs. Sara McMann – Preliminaries
Light Heavyweight: Khalil Rountree Jr. vs. Marcin Prachnio – Preliminaries
Middleweight: Andrew Sanchez vs. Makhmud Muradov – First Preliminaries
Agreed Weight (150 lb): Movsar Evloev vs. Nik Lentz – First Preliminaries
Flyweight: Amir Albazi vs. Zhalgas Zhumagulov – First Preliminaries
IT MAY INTEREST YOU