UIA disaster: Ukraine wants to do without trial

Ukrainian plane shot down near Tehran on January 8, 2020

Kiev wants to get by with extrajudicial mechanisms. Iran will pay compensation, but it will take up to five years.

Ukraine does not want legal proceedings with Iran in the case of the shooting down of a UIA passenger plane near Tehran. The Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said that it may take up to five years to resolve the situation. Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Yevhen Yenin said this on the air of Ukraine 24 channel.

He believes that over time, Iran will pay all due compensation to the families of those killed in the plane crash. However, this will take time.

“It is difficult for me to predict specific dates … We expect to do everything as quickly as possible and do with extrajudicial mechanisms. I hope that we will get the result in the period from two to five years maximum,” the Deputy Foreign Minister stressed.

According to Yenin, according to world practice, court proceedings in such cases can last up to 10 years.

“We really hope to settle everything out of court,” the diplomat said.

Recall that the Boeing 737-800 of the Ukrainian airline UIA was shot down by two missiles fired by the Iranian military on January 8, 2020. The plane just took off from Tehran airport and headed for Kiev. Onboard there were 167 passengers and 9 crew members, all of whom were killed.

As previously reported in the Office of the Prosecutor General, Ukraine alone investigates the UIA disaster.

Recall that the NSDC Secretary Alexey Danilov spoke about compensation to relatives of those killed in the UIA plane crash.

News from Correspondent.net in Telegram. Subscribe to our channel https://t.me/korrespondentnet

.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.