- ANSES received two reports in 2019 of acute life-threatening hepatitis likely to be linked to the consumption of this dietary supplement.
- Multiple, prolonged or repeated intakes of food supplements should be avoided during the year without having taken advice from a health professional (doctor, dietitian, etc.).
ANSES recommends that women using oral contraception do not consume the Chewable Hair Vitamins® food supplement. Marketed by the company HairBurst, the Chewable Hair Vitamins® product is a food supplement, in the form of chewing gums, used in particular for hair vitality.
“An emergency liver transplant”
As part of its nutrivigilance system, ANSES received two reports in 2019 of acute life-threatening hepatitis likely to be linked to the consumption of this dietary supplement. “The two women, 29 and 36, had to be hospitalized and one of them needed an emergency liver transplant. Both were taking oral contraceptives,” reports the health agency.
According to ANSES, the responsibility of the food supplement in the occurrence of these two severe acute hepatitis was very likely, even if nothing has yet been formally proven. Several hypotheses are possible: “a complex effect of the combination of the many ingredients of the product, an interaction with other substances, in particular those contained in oral contraceptives, or even a possible contamination or adulteration, that is to say an addition of a substance fraudulently “, explain the experts.
Recommendations for all food supplements
More generally, the consumption of food supplements is not good for your health, except in the case of a specific medical recommendation. L’anses therefore recommends:
– Report to a healthcare professional any undesirable effects occurring following the consumption of a food supplement.
– Respect the conditions of use set by the manufacturer.
– Avoid multiple, prolonged or repeated intakes during the year of food supplements without having taken advice from a health professional (doctor, dietitian, etc.).
– Be very vigilant vis-à-vis abusive allegations.
– Be very vigilant about the purchase of products sold in non-traditional channels (internet, gyms, etc.) and without individual advice from a health professional.