(CNN Español) — A 15-year-old armed attacker spread terror with a shooting at a Michigan high school. The attacker fired “point blank” at students and staff at Oxford High School in Oakland, Michigan, this week. Four people died and several were injured.
This is what we know.
What happened? So was the high school shooting
On November 30, a 15-year-old gunman, who was later identified as Ethan Crumbley, entered “methodically and deliberately” walking the hallways of Oxford High School in Oakland, Michigan, prosecutors said at a hearing.
According to videos shown by prosecutors at Crumbley’s arraignment, the video shows Crumbley with a backpack and a minute later he exits the bathroom without the backpack and with a gun in hand, authorities said.
He started shooting just outside the bathroom, but after some children started to flee, he continued walking down the hall at a “methodical pace” and shot inside classrooms and at students who had not had a chance to escape. This continued for another four to five minutes and he went to another bathroom, Keast said.
When the authorities arrived, Crumbley put down the gun and turned himself in.
The balance of horror: 4 dead and several injured in the shooting at the school
After the shooting, four students were killed by shots from Crumbley. All under 18 years of age.
The fatalities of the shooting were identified by authorities as 17-year-old Madisyn Baldwin; Tate Myre, 16; Hana St. Juliana, 14 years old; and Justin Shilling, 17, authorities said.
Justin died Wednesday morning in a hospital; the others died Tuesday, the sheriff’s office said. Tate died on patrol while an officer was taking him to a hospital, Bouchard said.
Seven other people – six students and a teacher – were injured after being shot, said Michael Bouchard, an Oakland County Sheriff.
One of the injured is a 14-year-old girl who was hooked up to a ventilator after surgery, Bouchard said Tuesday night. On Wednesday, it was announced that the ventilator had been removed and was in stable condition.
Another 14-year-old boy had a gunshot wound to the jaw and head. The teacher, a 15-year-old boy and a 17-year-old boy were discharged, Bouchard said.
Meanwhile, survivors of the shooting told CNN that during the event, they barricaded the doors, called for help and collected anything they could grab in case they had to defend themselves.
Aiden Page, a senior, was in a classroom when he heard two gunshots Tuesday afternoon. Authorities called the shooting an “absolutely ruthless and murderous” rampage. It is the deadliest shooting at a US school since 2018.
Similar to the active attackers drills they had practiced, Page saw her teacher rush in and shut the door, then students pushed desks against her, she told CNN’s Anderson Cooper.
“We grabbed calculators, we grabbed scissors in case the attacker came in and we had to attack him,” he said, describing how a bullet went through one of the desks they had used to block the door.
There have been 48 shootings this year at Kindergarten through 12th grade schools, 32 of them since August 1.
Ethan Crumbley, the suspect in the school shooting
Ethan Crumbley was identified as the 15-year-old student responsible for the shooting at Oxford High School in Oakland. Authorities said the young man had not been on law enforcement radar prior to the shooting.
Crumbley will be tried as an adult and faces charges of first-degree murder, assault with intent to murder, and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony. He will also face one count of terrorism causing death, a rare charge for a school shooting.
“There is no manual on how to process a school shooting and I honestly wish I hadn’t had to … it didn’t happen and I didn’t have to consider it, but when we sat down, I wanted to make sure all the victims were represented on the charges. that we filed against this individual, “Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald told CNN. “If that’s not terrorism, I don’t know what it is.”
He said there is a lot of digital evidence in the case, like videos and other things on social media.
“But you probably don’t even need to see it to know how scary it is to be around another student shooting and killing other students. I mean, it’s terror.”
Oakland County Prosecutor Karen D. McDonald said the shooting was premeditated “long before the incident,” adding that a “mountain of digital evidence” increases confidence in first-degree murder charges.
The suspect was being held in a juvenile detention center. But Bouchard said authorities asked a judge to transfer him from the detention center to the Oakland County jail. The judge granted the request.
This shooting was “absolutely premeditated,” McDonald told reporters, without elaborating.
Investigations into the shooting continue
Investigators executed a search warrant at the suspect’s home and searched the school, he said. Authorities seized a phone and are examining other items.
Michigan law prohibits police from talking to a minor without parental permission, and the parents declined that permission and requested an attorney, Bouchard said.
“So we cannot get the motive of the suspect we have in custody, but we think we have a way to get a lot of supporting information on how and why this happened. We have recovered some evidence that we are now beginning to study in detail,” said Bouchard .
Authorities are also investigating images of a target and the weapon posted on social media by the suspect, it added.
– With information from CNN’s Jason Hanna, Amir Vera, Adrienne Broaddus, Shimon Prokupecz.