WHO experts arrived in the Chinese city of Wuhan to study the origin of the coronavirus

Staff members awaiting the arrival of WHO scientists

A team of WHO experts landed in Wuhan on Thursday to begin a long-overdue mission, which aims to investigate the origins of the coronavirus.

The Chinese state broadcaster CGTN It showed the arrival of the plane from Singapore that was transporting the team of experts for an investigation that is expected to last several weeks.

This visit is extremely sensitive for Beijing, concerned to rule out any responsibility in the pandemic that has caused nearly two million deaths in the world. Initially scheduled last week, it was canceled at the last minute due to missing all necessary authorizations. The experts will have to hold a two-week quarantine.

Expectations should be “very low” said some members of the World Health Organization team of experts tasked with investigating the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic.

I would be inclined to set very low expectations to draw a conclusion on this visit“Said Dr. Dale Fisher, president of the Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network coordinated by WHO, in an interview Monday at the Reuters Next conference.

“I think it’s an important meeting, but this time it shouldn’t be overrated in terms of results”Said Fisher, who participated in a WHO mission to Wuhan last year.

The National Health Commission, which had to delay its trip that was originally scheduled for the first days of January, did not detail the team’s itinerary. In addition, the investigators will have to serve a quarantine upon reaching Chinese territory.

“We look forward to working closely with our (Chinese) peers on this critical mission to identify the source of the virus and its route of introduction to the human population,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus wrote on Twitter.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director general of the OMS

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director general of the OMS

China has been accused by some of a cover-up which delayed its initial response to the pandemic, allowing the virus to spread since it first emerged in the central city of Wuhan in late 2019.

The anniversary of the first known death caused by the new coronavirus went unnoticed in the city of Wuhan, at a time when China tries to erase its image as the epicenter of the covid-19.

On January 11, 2020, China announced to the world that two days earlier the first death caused by the mysterious virus had been registered in the metropolis of 11 million inhabitants. Since then, more than 1.9 million people have died worldwide due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

In Wuhan, as in the rest of China, the pandemic was controlled in the boreal spring according to the Chinese regime and the official balance of 4,634 deaths it did not vary from mid-May.

In this city in the center of the country, the first to be quarantined on January 23, 2020, lThe inhabitants were dedicated on Monday morning to their usual occupations.

For its part, the communist regime media silenced this first anniversary.

“If we do not know the origin [del coronavirus] then we will be equally vulnerable in the future to a similar outbreak “said Michael Ryan, director of emergencies at the World Health Organization (WHO) in February 2020, when there was still the hope of being able to control the epidemic in time it was on its way to becoming a global phenomenon.

People dance in Wuhan, despite the commemoration of the anniversary of the first person killed by COVID-19 in that city

People dance in Wuhan, despite the commemoration of the anniversary of the first person killed by COVID-19 in that city

Ryan’s words accompanied at the time the arrival of a team from WHO Beijing to investigate the outbreak and investigate its transmission from animals to humans. There were only three deaths outside of China at the time, and it was believed that finding the animal origin was the key to knowing how to stop the outbreak of the new coronavirus and treat COVID-19, the disease it causes.

But to the members of the WHO task force they were never allowed to do their job and the same organization negotiated with the Chinese regime the limited scope of mission, according to an investigation published this Monday by the New York Times and signed by journalists Selam Gebrekidan, Matt Apuzzo, Amy Qin and Javier C. Hernández.

In fact the experts they were not empowered to question China’s early response al virus nor visit the exotic animal market of Wuhan where the pandemic is believed to have arisen.

China has impeded these efforts, says the New York Times, and WHO, although when there are leaders within the institution who show their frustration, it has ceded control to Beijing, allowing the regime to “wash” its mistakes at the beginning of the pandemic, which generated the rejection of the United States government.

(With information from AFP)

MORE ON THESE TOPICS:

WHO confirmed that the British strain of COVID-19 has already been detected in 50 countries and warned of a “worrying variant” found in Japan

Human Rights Watch denounced that China is experiencing the worst repression of human rights since Tiananmen

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.