WWE SmackDown January 15 Recap
WWE SmackDown St. Petersburg, ThunderDome
Commentators are Michael Cole and Corey Graves.
– Tonight is WWE SmackDown, the blue show kicks off with a video of what happened between Roman Reigns and Adam Pearce last week. Roman Reigns and Paul Heyman are backstage. Reigns reads his Royal Rumble contract, Heyman says they gave him the contract 2 minutes before the show started. It’s the same contract as at every PPV. He hates the contract. There needs to be a stipulation for the Royal Rumble, which lets Reigns be himself. He must teach fear and respect to Adam Pearce. Heyman takes the contract and leaves.
– Jey Uso makes his entrance and welcomes us to SmackDown. They’re running this show, it’s not Adam Pearce, not Kevin Owens, not the WWE Universe. His family is the one in charge. If Adam Pearce thinks we’re happy with SmackDown, let him think again. For all he has, he has to say “Thank you Roman”. For bringing people back to watching him and getting him back in the ring for the first time in years, he has to thank Roman Reigns. Jey Uso announces he will be in the Royal Rumble Match. If he wins, he’ll go to RAW and beat Drew McIntyre, Goldberg or whatever champion. Before the Rumble, he’s dealing with Shinsuke Nakamura. Everyone’s talking about the Gauntlet Match, it survived against multiple opponents. Nakamura defeated Mysterio, Corbin and Bryan. When they said Nakamaura was done, he was out. If Nakamura thinks he’s strong, let him come. Once he has passed his family, he will emerge from the ThunderDome in an ambulance.
Shinsuke Nakamura arrives and says if his cousin is the Big Dog, that makes him his little pooch, then kicks him.
Jey Uso vs Shinsuke Nakamura
During the match, Cesaro makes his entrance and sits at the commentary table. He announces his participation in the Royal Rumble Match.
At the end of the match, Jey Uso tries a roll up using the ropes. The referee sees it and continues the match. Nakamura surprises Jey Uso with a Kinshasa for the victory by pinfall.
Gagnant: Shinsuke Nakamura
– After the match, Cesaro celebrates with Shinsuke Nakamura.
– Behind the scenes, Adam Pearce is with Sonya Deville. Paul Heyman comes in with the amended contract and tells Pearce he’s got the opportunity of a lifetime. Not only will he be in the main event of the Royal Rumble, but it’s also an opportunity that he was never given. He has a chance at the Universal title, in addition the stipulation is in his favor. It will be a match without disqualification. Adam Pearce says he will sign it.
– Behind the scenes, Jey Uso gets angry at the referee (Charles Robinson), who tells him his feet were on the ropes so he can’t pin. Uso threatens Robison’s job and tells him to do his job.
– Behind the scenes, Kayla Braxton is with the Street Profits to revisit their loss of tag team titles. Ford says they won the titles on March 2, 2020 and remained champions for 312 days. Not accepting the challenge of the current champions would have ended the legacy they are trying to establish. Roode and Ziggler might be champions now, but Street Profits will be them again.
– Behind the scenes, Roman Reigns speaks with Apollo Crews. Paul Heyman is back with the contract. Reigns tells Crews to stay and learn. Reigns says he won’t sign that contract because he doesn’t want a no-disqualification match, but a Last Man Standing Match. Heyman says Adam Pearce is not going to accept a Last Man Standing Match. Reigns tells him to get that contract signed in the ring tonight.
– Billie Kay makes her debut with the Riott Squad then goes to the commentary table.
Natalya (accompanied by Tamina) vs Liv Morgan (accompanied by Ruby Riott and Billie Kay)
At the end of the match, Tamina scares Billie Kay who steps into the ring to flee. Liv Morgan is surprised, Natalya takes the opportunity to roll up her for the win.
– Dominik Mysterio is at the commentary table for the next game.
Rey Mysterio vs King Corbin
At the end of the match, Dominik Mysterio climbs onto the apron. King Corbin pushes Rey Mysterio against his son and gives him his End of Days for the pinfall victory.
Gagnant : King Corbin
– Behind the scenes, Paul Heyman crosses paths with Adam Pearce backstage and explains the situation to him with Roman Reigns. Pearce asks who will benefit. Heyman says he’s not in spoilers, he tells him to take his time and sign him in the ring against Roman Reigns.
– Bayley is in the ring and asks us to welcome Bianca Belair. Belair walks through the door and Bayley tells him to sit down. Bayley talks about Bianca Belair’s WWE Network documentary, a clip of which is shown, in which Bayley is seen pinning Bianca Belair. Bayley apologizes for this and asks her why her name is the EST of WWE. Belair replies that it was for everything she did before coming to WWE. Bayley asks if it’s an insult to the women who opened the way for him.
Bayley asks if by beating Bianca Belair she has become the best. Belair replies that they may have a rematch. Bayley says she has nothing to prove. She has an idea, they can do an obstacle course next week. Belair accepts the challenge.
– Behind the scenes, Daniel Bryan is with Otis and Chad Gable. Bryan says Alphra Academy can help him at the Royal Rumble. He is asked what effect his loss to Shinsuke Nakamura will have. Bryan replies that Nakamura is a former Royal Rumble winner, he shook his hand after the match.
Daniel Bryan vs Cesaro
At the end of the match, Cesaro made an Uppercut followed by a Neutralizer to Daniel Bryan for the pinfall victory.
– Behind the scenes, Kayla Braxton is with Carmella. The latter says she told the truth about Sasha Banks. When it comes to natural talents, she can’t touch it. Where’s Banks? She’s hiding from her … Sasha Banks arrives and says Carmella can have a match against her if Banks has a match with Reginald first.
– Big E is in ringside for the next game.
Apollo Crews vs Sami Zayn
At the end of the match, Apollo Crews rolls up Sami Zayn for the win.
Gagnant : Apollo Crews
– Next week, Apollo Crews will face Big E for the Intercontinental title. We will also have an obstacle course between Bayley and Bianca Belair.
– Roman Reigns, Paul Heyman and Jey Uso make their debut. Adam Pearce then comes in with the contract, then sits in a chair. Jey Uso takes him off the chair. Reigns tells Pearce to sign the contract. Pearce signs the contract, followed by Reigns. Pearce says he waited all night for Reigns to sign him. Reigns doesn’t understand, Pearce limps onto the stage. Pearce says he has an old wound that is coming back. The WWE contract still says the same thing: the card is subject to change. As a WWE official he reserves the right as he doesn’t think he’s medically cleared, so he’s going to find a replacement. Kevin Owens arrives and signs the contract. The show ends like this.
Photo credit: WWE